RE650 assigning IP addresses with DHCP option set to OFF

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-11-04 23:10:57
Model: RE650  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.7 Build 20190521(6985)

Hi all,

I am facing the following issue with my brand new TP-Link Range Extender Wi-Fi AC2600 RE650:

- Even if the DHCP option is set to OFF, the devices that connect to the RE650 get a random IP address assigned, and the reservation that is configured modem/router side gets ignored.

For example:

This is the reservation that I've made on my modem/router for "Device 1"

Device 1 | MAC: AA:BB:CC:DD:EE:FF | IP: 192.168.1.110

If I connect "Device 1" directly to the Wi-Fi provided by my ISP modem/router it gets the 192.168.1.110 IP address.

If I connect "Device 1" to the extended Wi-Fi provided by the RE650 it gets the 192.168.1.180 IP address.

The RE650 is configured as a range-extender.

The connection between my ISP modem/router and the RE650 is Wi-Fi 5GHz.

The RE650 is configured to extend/broadcast only the 2.4GHz signal.

How can I prevent the RE650 to assign random IP addresses to the connected devices?

Thank-you

Marco

Options
11 Reply
Re:RE650 assigning IP addresses with DHCP option set to OFF
2020-11-04 23:18:29 - last edited 2020-11-04 23:18:58

Also, I should mention that the MAC addresses of the devices on my ISP modem/router side are displayed as AA:BB:CC:DD:EE:FF while on the RE650 is the same but with a dash instead of a colon (AA-BB-CC-DD-EE-FF)

Options
2020-11-10 06:53:46

@Murder3D 

Good day,

There would be two formats of MAC address, one is AA:BB:CC:DD:EE:FF and the other would be AA-BB-CC-DD-EE-FF;

As for the DHCP feature on the RE650, except the new IP address , have you checked the gateway of this device which would be the DHCP server who assigned the IP to it?

Since if you were able to set up the DHCP option off, RE650 would lose the ability to assign the IP address anymore.

Thank you very much.

Options
2020-11-12 08:59:25

@Solla-topee 

Hello,

I've checked the configuration and it seems to me that my RE650 is getting his IP address (192.168.1.83) from my ISP modem/router (192.168.1.254).

RE650 is getting 192.168.1.83 which is the IP he should get since a reservation for his mac address is in-place on my ISP modem/router.

The DHCP function on my RE650 is indeed set to OFF so it shouldn't give out any IP addresses, correct?

Here's a couple of screenshots of my RE650 network configuration and also access control page:

As you can see, the clients in the red box are getting random IP addresses from the RE650. This should not happen since the RE650 DHCP function is turned OFF and since for the clients' mac addresses there are reservation in-place on my ISP modem/router.

I look forward for your reply.

Thank you very much

Marco

Options
2020-11-12 09:11:52

@Murder3D 

84-F3-EB-... should have 192.168.1.110

2C-F4-32-... should have 192.168.1.105

CC-50-E3-... should have 192.168.1.109

these are the reservations that are configured in my ISP modem/router (the only difference is that the MAC ADDRESS is typed as AA:BB:CC: ecc. ecc.

Marco

Options
2020-11-13 08:16:14 - last edited 2020-11-13 08:21:31

Hi @Solla-topee,

I've found what's described in these posts to be the exact behavior of what's happening in my case:

https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/174656

https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/199824

It is called "MAC Address Proxy"

Can you please confirm that the first 3 octets of the connected devices MAC Addresses are being overwritten with the first 3 octets of the RE650 MAC Address?

for example:

RE650 MAC Address: 11:22:33:44:55:66

My iPhone real MAC Address: AA:BB:CC:DD:EE:FF

My iPhone MAC Address when it is connected to the RE650: 11:22:33:DD:EE:FF

This would explain why my ISP modem/router reservations aren't being applied to the devices that are connected to my RE650.

Is there a way to turn off this feature or to prevent this from happening?

I am willing to install beta/custom firmware if needed since I really need that the reservations that I have on my ISP modem/router are being appliead to all my devices regardless of where they are connected to.

Thank you

Marco

Options
2020-11-17 06:06:17

@Murder3D 

Good day,

Thank you very much for your time and patience.

I am afraid that there is no way to turn off the Proxy mode on the RE650 when it is on the range extender mode;

It is right RE650 would not assign any IP address when the DHCP server is off;

And If you want the address reservation works on the RE650 as well, you could consider setting up the RE650 as the access point, not the range extender mode;

Or reserve the IP for the virtual MAC address on the home router, instead of the real MAC address.

Really sorry for the inconvenience.

Thanks a lot for your understanding and support.

Options
2021-08-22 19:44:06

@Murder3D 

I just received the RE650 yesterday to pair with my RE450 that I have in the basement, I've noticed the exact same issue, I have 55 wireless devices all set up with static ip addresses in my router, if i reboot my router all devices that were active will connect to the 450 and keep their assigned ip addresses, if I do the same with the 650 the clients are all assigned random ip addresses, now i know why but I find it hard to fathom that this feature can't be configured as an option in the firmware, MAC Address Proxy is an unnecessary feature. I will hunt around for a way to bypass this without having to mess around with reconfiguring clients otherwise I will return both of these extenders and try something else.

Options
2021-08-24 01:44:24

@XAFAfterShock  Hello,

Here are some suggestions that might help:

1. For the devices which are working in a fixed location (do not need to roam between Router and RE)

And you could reserve an IP address for the client using the virtual MAC address showing up on the RE's client list, below FAQ for reference:
https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2019/

2. For the device that need to switch Router Wi-Fi to RE Wi-Fi not in a fixed location, you will need to set up static IP manually on those clients, e.g. set up static IP for Windows: 
https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/41/

Options
2021-09-15 13:31:08

@Solla-topee 

Hi, I've the same issue as the guys above so I've looked into the guide information that you've given. 

I've numerous iOT devices that I've allocated static IP addresses for in my router and the RE650 with this proxy MAC addressing is making a complete mess of my set-up that's taken years to create, is there absolutely no way that this can be turned off as I can't see any reason why it would be useful in my case.  I'm sure that there's a reason behind it, but in my case it's of no use whatsoever and to me needs to be feed-back as something that needs addressing in future firmware upgrades. 

Yes according to the guide I can work out the replacement MAC addresses and fiddle the way my router is set up but to me that's a pain to do especially as some devices can be either connected to the main unit Wifi or the RE650 extender which the fiddle can't fix.  These are basic devices and can't be configured themselves to have a static address so again that part of the guide it not practicle. 

Before finding this article, I'd spent several days banging my head thinking I've done something wrong since supposedly upgrading from the TL-WPA271 that I was previously using only to find that this RE650 is the root of the problem, that there's no fix so nothing I can do about it except return it and go back to my old unit until I've found an equivalent unit that doesn't have such a frustrating limitation.

Options
2021-09-16 12:17:06

Good day@matt2_uk , 

We really appreciated your detailed feedback on 'Mac Address Proxy ' on the Range Extender. As far as I could tell, this has been a design for range extender for many years and it should be related to the way how Repeater works. We will pass along your suggestion to appropriate team for further evaluation, though personally I think the chance  could be pretty small.

If your house is in the same powerline unit, powerline KIT probably could work as an alternative and more suitable for your current the network when lots of devices requires  reserved IP addresses from router. Thank you again for time to write the detailed feedback!

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 3563

Replies: 11