Night Mode switches extender off!

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-11-08 09:00:52
Model: RE450  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Night Mode has been working perfectly well until now, switching LEDs off during the specified period. 

Now, all of a sudden Night Mode is powering my RE450 down completely, instead of just turning the LEDs off! The result is that I can't use Tether to turn Night Mode off either: powering the extender on again, by touching the Power button, is fine for a brief moment, until the Night Mode shuts the device off again, so that Tether can't see it to rectify the problem!

Is there an explanation for this frustrating behaviour? Aside from abandoning Night Mode altogether, is the only solution to reinstall the V3 firmware? Is there a more efficient remedy?

Thanks. 

Options
6 Reply
Re:Night Mode switches extender off!
2020-11-08 15:48:30

@DavidAb 

Pensé que era al único al que le pasaba esto.

Options
2020-11-08 17:38:04 - last edited 2020-11-08 17:42:28

@AlbaCar 

Gracias por tu reconocimiento.

¿Presumiblemente tú tampoco encontraste una solución?!

(Perdona mis errores lingüísticos: usando Google Translate ...)

Options
2020-11-10 02:59:51

@DavidAb @AlbaCar 

Good day,

Thanks a lot for your time and patience.

May I know the current hardware and firmware version of the RE450?

Except that RE450 was offline on the APP, are you still able to detect the wireless signal when the device is in night mode?

How did you get the RE450 back to work, manually unplug and plug it back or reset and set it up again?

By the way, may I know the model number of your home router?

Thank you very much and wait for your reply.

Options
2020-11-10 15:43:07 - last edited 2020-11-10 15:44:59

@Solla-topee 

Thank you for your good questions.

In reply:

• My hardware version is RE450 v3.0
  • The firmware is 1.0.1 Build 20190124 Rel . 56886(6985/8575)
  • The host router is a FRITZ!Box 7530

• The original problem was that the device did not function at all when Night Mode activated. In other words, the unit powered down completely/went to sleep when the LEDs extinguished as programmed. The unit would power up okay at the same time as the LEDs returned.

• I finally solved the problem by downloading and reinstalling the firmware.
  • But even after the complete firmware reinstallation, it turned out that I could only set up and manage the unit using Tether.

• Following the reinstall (and, actually, before the reinstall) it was initially possible to scan, identify and save the network connection via ethernet link. But it was not then possible to move from the network selection page to any other page in Settings while logged on via the browser. The app would just freeze. Alternatively, if I tried to make a desirable change to the initial network connection (i.e. alter the security level), the Save function would report 'Failed'.

• Another strange outcome from two of my four unsuccessful attempts at setting up via browser, was that the RE450 unit itself showed both 2.4 GHz and 5 5 GHz channels live, even though I had deselected 5 GHz in the browser' network selection page.

• Every time I experienced any of the failures as identified above, I rebooted the RE450. Only finally did I discover that Tether setup worked okay.

• So logging in to the RE450 via the browser was challenging - and remains impossible via wifi, though the RE450 appears to be doing its job okay otherwise. As you will appreciate, however, this means that a number of settings cannot be considered and altered.

• I have not attempted again to access the RE450 via ethernet, because I do not want to disturb the unit which seems to be okay. Tether access if fine. But since I still cannot log in to the full Settings suite, I am concerned that there is a remaining issue somewhere - even if I can't yet see it ...

Any further advice or solution will be welcome!

Best wishes,

David

Options
2020-11-11 13:02:39

@DavidAb 

Thank you very much for your kind reply.

So now, the LED night mode issue has been fixed by the firmware flash, right?

And as for the web UI login, did you use 192.168.0.254 or http://tplinkrepeater.net ?

(after setup, the default IP 0.254 was no longer available, and we might need to be tplinkrepeater.net)

If you failed to log in, what would you see after putting the login address?

(since there would only be one administrator in the local LAN network.)

As for the SSID, even though you did not set up theRE450, it would broadcast dual band Wi-Fi;

So if you only select one band of host network, skip the other, there would still be two bands 2.4Ghz&5ghz for RE450;

If you want to disable to one band of the RE450, you could need to go to tools> extended network, then disable one band;

Thanks a lot.

Options
2020-11-13 15:58:05 - last edited 2020-11-13 16:02:13

@Solla-topee 

Dear Solla-topee,

Thanks again for your timely response and further advice.

Yes: the LED programming is perfectly okay. In fact, everything is okay now! So the firmware reinstall seemed to fixed whatever earlier issues there were. However, what follows amounts to an apology from me for taking your time unnecessarily otherwise.

Here are the hard lessons now learned here:

1. I had failed to read in its entirety (to very bottom of the screen) the instructions about logging in after first installation. Having correctly checked on the host router to find the RE450's current and correct IP address, it was then possible to log in by wifi without difficulty.
  2. Now, having logged on successfully, I can see that the real reason the unit had powered off as well as the LEDs, is that I had inadvertently invoked the power-off schedule, in the mistaken belief that this was the LED schedule!!

In short: I am embarrassed at having taken your time unnecessarily. At least I will not make the same mistakes again ...

Again, my thanks.

Best wishes,

David

London

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1206

Replies: 6

Related Articles