X60 Slow Wifi Speed, just a few feet away

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-11-11 22:09:54
Model: Deco X60  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.05 Build 20201013 Rel. 64247

I have recently replaced my Apple Airport Extreme/Express network fro Deco X60. I upgraded as I am moving to FTTP and the Apple equipment was getting very old.

I have three X60 connected to each other over Ethernet via a Netgear ProSafe 16 Port Gigabit Switch (GS116).

I have two X60 on the ground floor, one by the Modem and one at the other end of the ground floor and I have one in the middle of the first floor. (Same config as Apple Network)

What I have found on the Ground floor if I walk just a few feet away from the X60 the wifi speed dramatically drops from 60mbps to <10mbps but one first floor if i walk to the furthest part of the floor the speed only marginally drops.

I am on the latest firmware according to the Deco App.

I have a number of clients connected to the 3 X60, mostly the usual type of devices, iPhones, Laptops, iPad, Sky q boxes, Sonos. But i also have Arlo wireless hub for cameras and webserver for heating automation. No different to my Apple network which was working OK.

Any help is much appreciated.

Options
9 Reply
Re:X60 Slow Wifi Speed, just a few feet away
2020-11-12 03:15:43

@manishpatel1971 

Hello,

To better assist you, please provide us with the below information:
1. Is the Deco X60 working as a router or an Access Point? Is it possible that the phone or iPad switch to connect to the 2.4GHz network instead of the 5GHz when you're walking a few feet away from the X60? Please check the signal strength on the phone or iPad when you find the speed drops. BTW, are there walls between when the speed drops? What if you disable the 2.4GHz main network and only leave the 5GHz on, will there be any difference?
2. Please check if the three Deco build up the Ethernet backhaul successfully when all are connected to the Netgear switch. You may confirm this by clicking the Internet icon on your Deco app (ensure it is the latest version)->tap the satellite Deco, then you will see the satellite Deco’s signal source. For more details, you may refer to the below FAQ:
https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/1794/
3. Please test the speed on different mobile devices, and ensure they are connected to the Deco network at a good link status.

Good day.

Options
2020-11-12 07:55:49

@TP-Link_Deco 

Hey,

1. Yes the X60 is working as a Router. I turned off 2.4Ghz from the Deco and the speed still drops and the wi-fi strength continues to drops. Yes there are a couple of walls.

2. Yes all three X60 are shown as Ethernet

3. I have tested on my iPhone and Laptops, it was poor performance on Laptops that alerted me there was some sort of problem.

Thanks

Options
2021-02-03 16:23:12

Any updates or resolutions to this?

I'm having a similar issue. My speed when connected to the Deco wifi is about 50% of what it is with a different router (Netgear Nighthawk). 

If I take the modem and connect it to the Deco, run a speed test; then do the same setup - connect the modem to the Nighthawk, run a speed test, it's almost twice the speed on the Nighthawk. If I go back to the Deco, speed is reduced to about 50% again. So I'm convinced it's the Deco, but how/why?

Options
2021-05-12 13:39:49 - last edited 2021-05-12 13:46:00

@manishpatel1971 

I have the same issue.  I have a 1GB internet line coming into the house (Virgin cable Network).  When I test the speed using the virgin WiFi and stand near the virgin router i get about 980Mb/s (expected).  If I connect via Ethernet cable to laptop to the Virgin router i get the same speed.  The speed remains the same when I turn off the WiFi from the virgin router and just test via Ethernet = 980MB/s

I connect my Deco X60 to the Virgin router via cable and ensure Virgin router WiFi signal remains off.  I connect via WiFi to the deco and cannot get more than 100Mb/s (standing right next to the deco router).  I connect a second Ethernet cable to the deco router and plug into my laptop and test the speed.  I am again capped to 100Mb/s.  My expectation is for the full 1GB/s.

I have also ensured that the deco is fully updated (latest firmware).  I have also tried this in BOTH modes on the Deco (access point or router) and I get the same result.  I have also tested on any combination of 2.4GHz and 5GHz (off or on)

So in short, it seems that in my case, I cannot get more than 100MB/s out of this device no matter the connection options (WiFi or direct by cable Ethernet).  I bought the Deco X60 because I was guaranteed faster than 1Gb/s speed.   I am getting 1/10th of the speed expected.

This seems to be a problem that is reported often in forums - please someone at TP-Link respond.  

Options
2021-05-13 05:47:56

@Briday 

Thank you very much and please refer to the first post to get more details:

https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/242972?replyId=594924

And if the issue was still here, We would love to forward your case to the senior engineers for further help;

Thanks a lot.

Options
2021-05-20 19:23:13

@Briday 

I had exactly the same problem as you, but i found a fix for my situation. Hopefully it helps you (and maybe other?) too. I found out that i didn't had the problem with, for example, my Xbox Series X. Only with my Windows 10 PC.

This is what i did to fix it; I will try to translate my actions, because my Windows 10 is in Dutch. Go to Device Manager and then to your network adapter. Open the properties, go to advanced, go to 'MIMO power save mode' and set it to 'No SMPS'. After that, my internet speed was fast again.

Options
2021-11-08 15:55:42

@TP-Link 

hi Tp Link

few weeks back I installed the x60 and manage to get about 800mbps. Recently when I test the speed. It constantly giving me below 100mbps. 

I tried all the method on the community port but couldn't resolve the issue. 
I did a restart deco this afternoon and the speed gone up to 400mbps. But after a few hours it dropped back to 90mbps. 

I did the lan speed test to verify and it's 800mbps on lan. 

Options
2021-11-11 17:31:50

I also have issues with wifi speed dropping after a few hours. Have 3* x60 all connected with Ethernet to central switch. Fiber connection is 500/500 and that's the speed I got at first over wifi but after a few hours it drops to about 40-50 Mbps. A full restart of all Decos have helped but that's of course not s viable solution. One more thing, when you fix this with new firmware... Please also make sure we can turn off DHCP in router mode!!!

Options
2022-03-07 17:17:12

My issue is that I am getting decent speeds - 800 ish with a gig and a motorola 8611 modem - but internet is laggy and Tvs lose streams. I have a nest wifi (wifi 5) that I was trying to improve on (only getting 400 DL on a gig wire 10 ft from router) that is snappy and touble free. The speed just sucks. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 4016

Replies: 9

Related Articles