Decos M4 setup for home with 3 floors

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-11-16 21:32:51
Model: Deco M4  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hello,

Can I connect two M4 decos in Access point mode to my router (which already has internet connection provided by WAN port) using ethernet cables?

My setup would be like below:

MODEM -> WAN_PORT -> MY_ROUTER (on attic) -> 

-> 1st LAN port connected to M4 first deco (on second floor)

-> 2nd LAN port connected to M4 second deco (on first floor)

I am wondering if they can be paired using ethernet not WIFI so that they use ethernet for internal MESH communication, being then both in one network so when I will be moving thru my house with mobile device and WIFI connection it wont have to switch the WIFI network connection to another one if I am in range of any of M4 decos.

In my case I think wifi signal could not be strong enough for creating a mesh communication between two decos or it will be limited so communication between them for mesh purposes could not work as expected.

I dont want to connect them directly (M4 -> ethernet -> M4) using ethernet since I already have infrastructure prepared for two ethernet cables for my main home router.

I was also considering connecting first M4 (from second floor) via ethernet to my router and then second M4 (from first floor) thru WIFI with M4 on second floor but I expect lots of data loos since WIFI signal goes down when I go down the stairs. So I expect low transfer on the first floor then.

Is mesh actually needed for having smooth WIFI handover between two M4 decos configured for the same SSID and AUTH?

From what I read M4 supports 802.11k and 802.11r so it should detect stronger Access point and push the user to the other one even with no good wifi communication between them. If that is correct then maybe it would be better for performance disable mesh capability in M4s (if that is possible) and use fast BSS transition in deviced working as access points?

What is actually the diffrence between having mesh network over WIFI and two access points (no mesh capabilities in definition of TP LINK) supported by 802.11k and 802.11r?

Maybe you have any other suggestions how to configure above network?

Thank you.

Best regards

Options
3 Reply
Re:Decos M4 setup for home with 3 floors
2020-11-16 22:23:59

@perf 

Long story short.

Yes, you can wire Deco M4 nodes with ethernet cable any way you want inside your network, as long as you run them in AP mode.

I have two Decos wired just like you plan to do with your two. They work just fine.

Deco nodes do not need WiFi connection between each other to make mesh network, they'll communicate through Ethernet with each other to set and support the WiFi mesh for mobile devices.

Options
2020-11-16 22:27:57

Additional qustion:

If I would remove my home router from above configuration and I would connect directly 1st M4 from second floor to the modem on attic (i dont need internet connecton on 3rd floor) would it make any diffrence for the performance of mesh network?

So instead:

MODEM -> WAN -> MY HOME ROUTER -> LAN1 PORT -> DECO 1 (second floor)

-> LAN2 PORT -> DECO 2 (first floor)

Would be:

MODEM -> WAN -> DECO 1 (second floor)  -> LAN PORT -> DECO 2 (first floor)

Options
2020-11-17 00:18:43

@perf 

This:

MODEM -> WAN -> DECO 1 (second floor)  -> LAN PORT -> DECO 2 (first floor)

can work if you configure Deco in Router mode and make DECO 1 your network Main Deco. Then, your Main Deco will be playing router role. You need router on your network.

The way you plan to deploy Deco, it should not make the difference in mesh performance, so you can choose either one of them: Deco in AP mode with your home router or Deco in Router mode with Main Deco connected directly to modem. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2192

Replies: 3

Related Articles