Cannot access LAN through OpenVPN connection

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-11-18 01:05:15
Model: Archer C3150  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 3.0.0 0.9.1 v005f.0 Build 170926 Rel.63400n

I've set up the OpenVPN server on the C3150 router and exported the configuration file. The client shows as connected when activated but I cannot access local files or even the IP of the router itself even though client access is set to "internet and home network". I've reset the router and tried both UDP/TCP with no success. Not sure how else to troubleshoot this as the connection starts up without any issue but actual LAN access is non-existent. Could somebody help me with this?

Options
12 Reply
Re:Cannot access LAN through OpenVPN connection
2020-11-23 07:43:24

@blueatlantic 

Hello, thanks for reporting this issue.

Please check the Firewall and Anti-Virus software on the server: generally, Windows Firewall would block the packages from the VPN Client, disabling the firewall on Windows PC for "public" and "private" network will be helpful. Windows Firewall is located at "Control panel->System and Security->Windows Firewall/Windows Defender Firewall".

If this doesn't help, please help verify some details, and we will try to figure it out:
1. Kindly check the below VPN setup instructions again to confirm all the settings on the C3150 are correct:
How to use OpenVPN to access your home network through the Wi-Fi Routers
BTW, please also provide us your network topology.
2. If the above guide doesn't help, please tell us what is the WAN IP address of the C3150 and it is suggested to configure the DDNS:
How to set up TP-LINK DDNS on TP-Link Wireless Router?

3. Please check the VPN Tunnel: login the web interface, and on the VPN Server-> VPN Connections, we can see the status of the VPN Server, confirm if there is a VPN connection enabled. If not, which means the VPN setup is not successful.

Options
2020-11-24 01:30:13

@Kevin_Z 

The OpenVPN server is setup on the TP-Link C3150 V2 router. The DDNS is setup on the router with TP-Link as the provider. VPN settings are all correct. VPN server is active and can confirm that a VPN connection is enabled. With regards to network topology, the internet connection comes in via coax into a cable modem and that goes out to the TP-Link C3150 V2 router. I have about 10 clients connected via wired and wireless. After enabling remote connections to the VPN server via Apple iPhone and Mac clients, there is no access to the server LAN. I've attached a screenshot of the server setup which was the default setup with the exception of the client access option, which I changed to Internet and Home Network. I reset my router twice and went through the same steps with no success when it came to being able to access the server side LAN. 

Options
2020-11-24 03:11:57

@blueatlantic 

Hello, what kind of service are you trying to access from outside? Have you checked the firewall setting on that device as mentioned earlier?

Options
2020-11-24 04:16:20

@Kevin_Z 

I'm trying to access local drives on the server side LAN from the client. There's no firewall on the iPhone client app and I tried disabling the one on the TP-Link router without success. 

Options
2020-11-24 07:04:20

@blueatlantic 

Hello, thanks for getting back quickly.

It is actually suggested checking the firewall or anti-virus settings on the server, but not on your iPhone client app.

Options
2020-11-24 07:57:36

@Kevin_Z 

They are all enabled on the server. Is it recommended to disable them for the OpenVPN to work?

Options
2020-11-24 09:08:48

@blueatlantic 

Yes, please disable them to give it a go.

Options
2020-11-24 17:00:42

@Kevin_Z 

I disabled the firewall and antivirus before connecting through the client but still no access to LAN devices. I've attached some screenshots to show the disactivation of those settings plus the OpenVPN client showing as connected. I was previously unable to access the router remotely (192.168..0.1) but it now works after enabling remote management. I still cannot access local drives though. 

Options
2020-11-24 18:05:09

@blueatlantic 

You don't need to disable the firewall of your Archer C3150 router! I think this is not what Kevin_Z meant when he asked you to disable the firewall of your "server".

What exactly are these local drives that you are trying to access? Disks that are connected to the C3150 via USB or NAS devices connected to the LAN or shared drives/folders of Windows or Mac computers connected to the LAN?

Options
2020-11-24 19:24:43

@woozle 

Ok, I thought they were referring to the OpenVPN server which is on the router. The local drives that I'm trying to access are USB drives connected to a Mac. That Mac is connected via ethernet to the TP-Link C3150 and the firewall of that Mac is disabled. When I'm at the same location as that Mac and the USB drives, they're shared on the LAN and can be accessed from other devices on the same network. I'm trying to have that same access but remotely via OpenVPN. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 6582

Replies: 12

Related Articles