Changing local device in TPlink utility

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-11-18 10:19:37
Model: TL-PA9020P KIT  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version:

Hi all,

I have a very strange issue with my TP Link Powerline network. I have a 9020p plugged in to the wall and connected to my router via ethernet (I will call this Room 1). I then pair two additional devices (one is the other 9020 and another is the wifi 8630 - Rooms 2 and 3) and move them to locations throughout the house. When I first do this, the Room 1 device shows at the bottom of the powerline network as the local device as I would expect feeding the other two. Then within 24 hours, the room 2 device replaces the one connected to my router at the bottom of the network map and the only way to change it back is to unplug everything and start again.

It is incredibly infuriating as my understanding is the whole point is you have a 'base' connected to the broadband and then feeding additional devices, not for one of those remote devices to suddenly become the central point and a network bottleneck.

Has anyone else experienced this, or have any advice on how to fix it?

PS, when the swap happens, 'room 2' is the base at the bottom of the diagram,with a diagonal line to the left connecting to 'room 1' and a diagonal line to the right connecting to 'room 3'. If i then click on 'room 1' on the left, I can change the setup so the connecting lines now flow from this device to 'room 2' and 'room 3' but it stays on the left. This is also only temporary as it always flips back to the default, sometimes within minutes and other times it takes hours.

Hope this makes some sort of sense and that someone can offer some advice here.

cheers

Steven

Options
3 Reply
Re:Changing local device in TPlink utility
2020-11-27 09:25:23 - last edited 2020-11-27 09:27:04

@sfarkas 

Good day.

Sorry for the delay.

If I am right, you are talking about the diagram on the power-line utility, right?

Actually, the master unit would also be the one connected directly to the router.

But As for the central point on the utility, it refers to the adapter to which the computer that runs the utility, is connected by default;

But later, if you click the specific adapter,  it would switch to the center point.

B--the master unit connected to the router, A and C are extended units

Options
2020-12-17 08:22:56

@TP-Link 

Thanks for your reply and that sort of makes sense. I have a further issue that when I click on the the master unit (connected to the router) which is showing on the top left in your diagram (with the connecting lines in a traditional 'V' shape, it does then become the fulcrum and has the connecting lines in a horizontal 'V' shape, ie connected to units B and C both feeding from that master unit (which obviously provides the fastest speeds) it \almost always reverts back to the slower speeds with the connection lines back in the traditional V (with unit A as the bottom with the connection lines to C and B coming from it). What I would assume is that the master unit connected to the router would always be the fulcrum and connecting to all remote units? 

This happens constantly, I can sit in front of the app and watch it refresh and flip back, then I manually click to change and it always reverts back. Why is there no way to actually set a default configuration? I've checked the web based utility and this also seems not to be an option?

Options
2020-12-17 09:00:16

@sfarkas 

Good day,

Could you please confirm that I got it correctly,

When we click A(the base unit connected to the home router), then A would be the center point; as for the power-line rate,  for example, 300m/s from A-C, 400m/s from A-B;

Then we click B(one of the extender), it would be the center point; as for the power line rate, for example, 100m/s from C-A, 200m/s from C-B;

So basically, the power-line rate from A-C, and C-A,  or A-B, B-A there would be a huge gap

Thank you very much and wait for your reply.

Options