How often should extender require rebooting?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-11-20 14:11:59 - last edited 2020-12-25 02:35:53
Model: TL-WPA4220  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Apologies but I have no idea how to find out the Hardware and Firmware versions.

How often should I be expected to have to reboot the extender to re-establish an internet connection? This seems to be required on a weekly basis which I feel is too often.

Alan

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re: How often should extender require rebooting?-Solution
2020-12-24 10:02:59 - last edited 2020-12-25 02:35:53

@TP-Link I have now traced this issue to the Sky Q box connected to the TP-Link extender. I was fooled by the Sky Q box re-connecting after I rebooted the TP-Link extender. In fact if I do nothing the Sky Q box reconnects after 15 minutes. By connecting my laptop to the other Ethernet port on the TP-Link I have been able to establish that there has always been a stable connected through this. I have now registered my issue with the Sky Community Forum and it appears I am not alone in having this problem with the Sky Q box. The message on the TV screen saying there is no internet connection is false and has confused many other users. 

Thanks for the help from the TP-Link community in tracing this problem down.

Recommended Solution
Options
8 Reply
Re: How often should extender require rebooting?
2020-11-22 13:53:53 - last edited 2020-11-22 13:55:37

@Alan_in_Hemel The firmware version and the possibility to update this, this can be achieved by using the tpPCL app from TP-Link. The powerline adapters do not need a regular reboot, they can work for years to come without this.

In case your WPA4220 are labeled AV500, I strongly recommend to update the firmware to the latest available version for your hardware type (this is found on the label on the powerline adapter, mine were very old V1 ones), I did the firmware upate for  the latestet V1 hardware and my AV500 became now AV600 units :).

Options
2020-11-22 15:28:00

@StardustOne Thanks for your help, I do have the tpPCL App on my iPhone but could not find the firmware version listed anywhere or how it could be updated. I notice on the extender label it says v4.0, on the app my device is listed as TL-WPA4220 4.0 so this may have answered that query. The app is very flaky though and continually loses and the finds again the device. Still no option to update the firmware visible. 

Options
2020-11-22 16:25:12

@Alan_in_Hemel I do not know about the iPhone app, I installed the software on my PC and when you then pver over one device, it will show you a popout menu at the right, with 3 options, basic, advanced and remove.

When you click in advanced, you will then have access to the QoS setting, the update function and a mode setting.

The V4 latest firmware improves stability so I would advise to update the firmware (as an example, this is the latest US version TL-WPA4220(US)_V4_190326, but you should download the local version from the local TP-Link page), as you can see on this picture, there are two files that will be needed, nvm and pib. The firmware download file can be extracted and you will then find those two files with the extension nvm and pib in the extracted folder.

What you can also try, if you have dropouts, change the QoS setting from within that popout menu, default maybe is Audio/Video, but I read that Internet is also a good option.

Options
2020-11-23 13:58:56

@StardustOne I have successfully upgraded the firmware, now I need to give it some time to see if the problem has gone away. Thanks very much for your help with this.

Options
2020-12-12 10:05:55
I thought I was on to a winner here but two weeks later the TP-Link dropped the connection twice in one evening. Are there any investigations I can carry out to try and find the root cause?
Options
2020-12-20 14:08:08
So it happened again and my Sky Q Minibox said there was no internet connection. I connected my laptop to the TP-Link extender using the other ethernet port and it connected straight away. As I was opening the TP-Link app to see if it would shed any clues, the Sky Q box got its connection again. I am puzzled and would appreciate any advice.
Options
2020-12-24 06:29:53

@Alan_in_Hemel 

Hi, thank you very much for your kind reply.

We would like to follow up on your case by email and please have a check of your email box later.

Thanks a lot.

Options
Re: How often should extender require rebooting?-Solution
2020-12-24 10:02:59 - last edited 2020-12-25 02:35:53

@TP-Link I have now traced this issue to the Sky Q box connected to the TP-Link extender. I was fooled by the Sky Q box re-connecting after I rebooted the TP-Link extender. In fact if I do nothing the Sky Q box reconnects after 15 minutes. By connecting my laptop to the other Ethernet port on the TP-Link I have been able to establish that there has always been a stable connected through this. I have now registered my issue with the Sky Community Forum and it appears I am not alone in having this problem with the Sky Q box. The message on the TV screen saying there is no internet connection is false and has confused many other users. 

Thanks for the help from the TP-Link community in tracing this problem down.

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1338

Replies: 8

Related Articles