MR600 How to have 4G LTE as main and ADSL as backup

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-11-26 16:49:07 - last edited 2020-11-27 03:25:51
Model: Archer MR600  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

HI,

i think people who buy this product have a poor ADSL and a better 4G LTE.

for myself ADSL is 6Mb/1Mb ( down/upload)  and my 4G LTE+ is 120Mb/ 35 Mb.

I would like to have 4G LTE first and if 4G fails then go on  backup ADSL.Described  in TPLINK documentation for the router mode the normal configuration   is using the 4G LTE as a backup of the ADSL link, but no way to give the priority to 4G LTE.

is there a solution ?

thanks

Roland

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:MR600 How to have 4G LTE as main and ADSL as backup-Solution
2020-11-27 03:23:32 - last edited 2020-11-27 03:25:51

@Roland2794 

Hello, thank you for your kind suggestions.

While sorry to tell you that there is yet no option to choose the ADSL connection as a backup connection when using it as a 3/4G router mode. We will take a look if we can re-design the feature in the foreseeable future.

Good day.

Recommended Solution
Options
4 Reply
Re:MR600 How to have 4G LTE as main and ADSL as backup-Solution
2020-11-27 03:23:32 - last edited 2020-11-27 03:25:51

@Roland2794 

Hello, thank you for your kind suggestions.

While sorry to tell you that there is yet no option to choose the ADSL connection as a backup connection when using it as a 3/4G router mode. We will take a look if we can re-design the feature in the foreseeable future.

Good day.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:MR600 How to have 4G LTE as main and ADSL as backup
2020-11-27 09:08:07

@Kevin_Z 

Hi I also would like to configure 4g as primary and ethernet wan as backup. I have a tp-link load balancer with 2 4g routers but hardwire some of the heaviest straight into the 4g router so not to overload the load balancer with vpn and data backup traffic. 

Options
2020-11-27 10:41:49

@PeterDevon4g 

Noted, thanks again for your suggestions.

Options
2021-12-26 19:17:51

@Kevin_Z 

Hello all! Sorry for the reply to a thread but this is a feature I would give absolutely anything for.

My parents live in Scotland and have been dealing with speeds of around 1mbps at their peak for over a decade, just due to BT and similar not caring about the infrastructure here.

Recently I found out Unlimited 4G plans exist on pay as you go so we've swapped to one, and we now get speeds in excess of 10mbps, this isn't a lot to most people but it's the difference between my parents being able to listen to music or watch videos, or spend 10+ minutes waiting for things to buffer, it has genuinely changed their lives.

I bought an MR600 for the same reason as the OP, I was under the impression I could use 4G as primary, and a standard ADSL as a backup, sadly this isn't the case, what's interesting though is apparently there's a beta firmware for the MR200 which does exactly that: https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/99684

I'm begging the TP-Link engineers, please port this beta firmware to the MR600, currently my setup is two routers, a BT HomeHub for ADSL, and our MR600 for 4G, along with powerlines to reach areas that the WiFi cannot reach, whenever their internet goes down they phone me up and I have to SSH into fix the config and swap the SSID etc, and walk them through moving the Powerlines to the other router.

If this were something that the MR600 just did, it would save me hours of time a month, I'd even pay for this to be developed, I have no idea what the rate is or if that's something I can do, but I would pay for this.

They're older and not very technically savvy but this is their connection to the outside world living in the middle of nowhere in Scotland. 4G has changed their lives and I'm so happy it has, but I wish there was an easier way to manage this problem :(

Thanks,

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 1439

Replies: 4