Archer MR600 - filter traffic when using 4G backup

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-12-08 13:41:59
Model: Archer MR600  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

I'm using the MR600 with a fibre connection on WAN and 4G SIM as backup.

WiFi is running off Linksys Velop mesh network, which is connected to a LAN port on the MR600.

So basically, the MR600 just controls how my house connects to the outside world.

When the fibre goes down, the bandwidth will be 10x less via 4G and I also have a monthly data limit on the SIM. It would be nice if I could automatically control which devices are allowed to connect to the internet when the router is using the backup 4G connection and to automatically allow everything once the fibre connection resumes.

Non-critical devices like smart TV's should be blocked e.g. Netflix could easily eat up my bandwidth and data allowance.

But essential devices like work laptops, smartphones, IP phones should be allowed to use the 4G backup.

I'm not a networking expert but I'm comfortable settings things up for a small office. Does anyone have any suggestions on how this can be achieved?

Options
1 Reply
Re:Archer MR600 - filter traffic when using 4G backup
2020-12-09 09:01:46

@rob88 

Hello, we may agree that this is a great idea if we can achieve this kind of limitation or settings, while the router doesn't support that on the current firmware. We will keep an eye on this kind of feedback, then ask the developers to evaluate it.

Thanks very much for your great ideas, good day.

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 537

Replies: 1