Router constantly disconnects when connected to switch

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-12-10 09:41:15
Model: TL-SG1008D  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hello, my TL-SG1008D switch is causing some connection problems. I have a Archer AX10 router connected to the switch, and the switch connected to the modem. Every now and then I experience connections issues. My router's ethernet LED turn to orange and there is no connection, WIFI (both bands) or cabled. Sometimes there is a connection in other rooms that are connected to the same switch and sometimes the connection disappears completely. In such situation, if I reboot the router or connect the switch to my laptops network adapter the connection returns for a while. I have tried to factory reset the router but the problem was not solved. I have tried connecting the router directly  to the modem (without the switch) and the problem disappeared, so I believe its the switch's fault. What may be the cause of such problem, and how can I fix it?

Options
4 Reply
Re:Router constantly disconnects when connected to switch
2020-12-19 23:52:34

@Dtomarov 

sort of same problem

replaced router(bridged) with switch 1008d

internet up for a while and then down

cameraś offline !

when i plug everything back into old router works fine.

switch broken??

Options
2021-01-26 06:13:36

@Dtomarov 

Hello, apologies for the super late reply.

May I know who is your ISP, what kind of connection type on the AX10 or on the computer when connected to the ISP modem directly? Dynamic IP?

What if you just connect the ISP modem to the SG1008D, without the AX10, then check if you will have a stable connection.

How long is the cable between the modem and the SG1008D, and how about that between the SG1008D and the AX10? Try with a new cat 5e or cat 6 cable between the modem and the switch, as well as that between the switch and the router, then confirm if there is a difference.

Options
2021-01-26 06:15:55

@Zevener 

I will have the same question for you, who is your ISP, what kind of modem are you using? Are you using this SG1008D to replace with your router? Please be aware that this SG1008D is only an unmanaged switch, it is not a router, that means it will not assign you an IP address, all the devices in the network should request the IP address from the modem instead.

Options
2021-02-02 09:50:04

@Dtomarov 

I have a similar problem.

ISP = Sky

Router = tried 2 types of Sky router - same problem happens

Ethernet network is cascaded with TL-SG105S switches (dont need the bandwidth but the connectivity) CAT 6 cable connecting everything.

Intermittently the network and router just stops :(

Router stops passing out DHCP addresses

If I start the network up in phases it will work for a while but at some stage after a few hours or upto 4 weeks it just crashes again.

Sky are saying the router and broadband is doing what it should.

If I leave the ethernet network unpluged everything works but of course less devices.

Tried to fault find to a particular device and its not

It seems to be when the switches are all connected together.

Any suggestions??

Alan

Options