Deco X20 frequent loss of internet connection on wifi devices

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-12-17 14:28:00 - last edited 2022-10-28 11:45:52
Model: Deco X20  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.2.6 Build 20201013 Rel. 58271

I have the 3-pack of Deco X20s. Main Deco is connected via ethernet cable to the fiber optic unit coming into the house. The other two Deco units are connected via wifi. All Decos show green all the time. 

Fiber ----- ONT ---- Deco1  ----wifi---- Deco2 ----wifi---- Deco3

|

------- 8 port switch ---- computer1

|

---- computer2

Computers 1 and 2 are connected via ethernet cable to a switch, which is connected via ethernet cable to the main Deco. These computers almost never lose internet connection, so it's clear the internet connection is working to Deco1.

Wifi-connected phones, tablets, and laptops frequently lose internet connection, dozens of times per day. For instance, For instance, a laptop or phone web browser opens up a web page and works fine, then clicking on another link results in "no internet connection". Disconnecting from wifi and reconnecting SOMETIMES works but not always, and often it takes several disconnects/reconnects to make it work.

Wifi-connected smart TVs sometimes cannot connect, but once they do via disconnect/reconnect, the stream stays working as long as it's active.

Since you always ask the same questions, here are the answers:

1. All Decos show solid green all the time, even when a client loses internet. Deco app shows all clients (hardwired and wifi) connected.

2. ISP is Point Broadband fiber (formerly Intelliwave fiber), Deco is connected via ethernet cable to a Calix P Series 711 GE ONT (optical network terminal).

3. Internet disconnects on wifi devices occur all the time, whether stationary in sight of a Deco unit or moving around. 

Options
2 Accepted Solutions
Re:Deco X20 frequent loss of internet connection on wifi devices-Solution
2020-12-19 21:50:27 - last edited 2021-02-09 03:00:22

Hesitant to declare final victory yet, but I turned off "Obtain DNS Automatically" and entered Google's DNS servers (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4) yesterday morning. This is under Advanced -IPV4 - Internet Connections Type. Great speed and ZERO disconnects for over a day now. With the auto setting, it used its own address (192.168.1.1) for both DNS entries, and that always puzzled me. I'm guessing it just passed DNS requests on through to your ISP's selected DNS servers, and maybe that didn't always work well with some ISPs. Hope this helps others!

Recommended Solution
Options
2021-02-09 02:55:07 - last edited 2022-10-28 11:46:55

Update:

Please refer to the suggestions on this link:

Fix unstable connection when connected to the Deco network

Recommended Solution
Options
8 Reply
Re:Deco X20 frequent loss of internet connection on wifi devices
2020-12-17 15:42:44

@John_Welsh 

I have exactlt the same issue with my DECO M20 set. Started after installing latest firmware.

Also speeds are heavely affected. Varies form very slow 3-4mbps upto 350mbps speeds at the same location.

Options
2020-12-19 00:44:50
Yes I have the same problem with new deco X25 model. Suddenly no internet connection over the wifi, deco unit shows solid green as well
Options
2020-12-19 21:50:27 - last edited 2021-02-09 03:00:22

Hesitant to declare final victory yet, but I turned off "Obtain DNS Automatically" and entered Google's DNS servers (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4) yesterday morning. This is under Advanced -IPV4 - Internet Connections Type. Great speed and ZERO disconnects for over a day now. With the auto setting, it used its own address (192.168.1.1) for both DNS entries, and that always puzzled me. I'm guessing it just passed DNS requests on through to your ISP's selected DNS servers, and maybe that didn't always work well with some ISPs. Hope this helps others!

Recommended Solution
Options
2021-01-12 12:27:18
Hi John, I'm also experiencing a lot of internet connection issues on my X20. My deco's are running in Access Point Mode, in that mode I can not change the IPV4 settings. Does it still works fine after having changed the DNS?
Options
2021-01-12 14:01:01

@JRDe I have never tried Access Point mode. In router mode, changing the DNS worked wonders. No dropouts, everything very fast.

Options
2021-02-08 18:40:02

@John_Welsh 

Hi John,

The connections are really unstable on al devices (iphones, samsung phones, sonos, macbook, xbox, all connected devices), since TP has not done anything yet, I tried your suggestion. I have changed to router mode to be able to adapt DNS settings. I will monitor this the coming days. Thanks again for your suggestion.

Options
2021-02-09 02:55:07 - last edited 2022-10-28 11:46:55

Update:

Please refer to the suggestions on this link:

Fix unstable connection when connected to the Deco network

Recommended Solution
Options
2021-07-23 07:11:25

@John_Welsh Hello John,

your solution worked for me too. Made sure that the DHCP server on the main Deco gave out googles DNS servers and no more issues.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 3130

Replies: 8