ac1750 drops connection with 5ghz

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-12-17 16:55:25 - last edited 2020-12-17 18:27:29
Model: RE450  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.0.1

Hi,

I've had my tp-link ac1750 RE450 wi-fi range extender for about 1 month now, and ever since I've bought it it fails to maintain a connection with my 5ghz wi-fi band with my router. I would set it up, connect it, relocate it and everything would be absolutely fine with both bands for about an hour, sometimes if I get lucky it lasts the whole day. The speeds I get are phenomenal (5ghz wired Ethernet to my pc) and i absolutely loved it. Until, it stopped working with 5ghz. No sites would load and nothing would download, however connection to discord/Skype calls were maintained? My pc would still show that the Ethernet is connected and that I have internet, even though it is not working. At the same time when I try to connect to the 5ghz wi-fi ext on my mobile phone it would tell me 'could not obtain ip address'. Other than this, the 2.4ghz band works fine with both wi-fi and Ethernet, however I need to the 5ghz for a stronger speed as I am a gamer. I am quite sure this isn't a range issue as when the 5ghz connection is working, I get amazing speeds of 74mpbs and 9 ping. I have tried setting up DHCP but got extremely confused in the process, as I'm not the best with the techie stuff such as IP's. I have also tried phoning TP-link for live help but all of them gave useless advice and then told me to call them back another time with absolutely no reference code to give to me. I was wondering if anyone could help me with this issue.

Thanks, Jay

@Kevin_Z I've seen you solve this before but I was confused with the DHCP setup. 

Options
5 Reply
Re:ac1750 drops connection with 5ghz
2020-12-21 02:56:22

@JayJayJay 

Good day,

Thank you very much for your time and patience.

May I know the model number of your home router?

Did all these abnormal behavior happen only on 5ghz, 2.4ghz so far so good?

When these issue started, would there be a temporary fix, like rebooting the RE450, or it would come back automatically?

Have you tried to change the wireless channel no the home router to see if that helped, like channel 40 for 5ghz;

And if possible, Could you please help me collect the following details when the problem started again:

1. the status page on the RE450;

2. the system log;

And as for the DHCP configuration, I did not think the issue was caused by DHCP and in case, please refer to the following link to modify the DHCP settings:

Case 3:

https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/198516

Thank you very much.

Options
2020-12-21 17:12:01
Hi, thanks for responding. I could't find the model number of my router I'm afraid. If I rebooted the RE450 it would fix it for about 45 seconds, then I'd have to factory reset and setup it all again and then it'd work for about 2 hours again. Channel changes haven't helped at all. 2.4GHZ never drops and always works, but I need 5ghz for faster speed for gaming. On the status page it says everything is still connected with good signal, even when the 5ghz has dropped. Where do I find the system log?
Options
2020-12-24 21:23:24

@TP-Link im running out of time before I need this solving

Options
2020-12-25 02:56:53

@JayJayJay 

Good day,

Sorry for the long delay.

It Is my fault and I did not check the reply on time.

If you would like to spend more time with us, we would like to forward your case to the senior engineers directly for further assistance.

Please have a check of your email box.

Thanks a lot for your understanding and support.

Wish you a Happy New Year and Merry Christmas.

Options
2021-01-10 15:50:24

@TP-Link I haven;t had any emails whatsoever 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 693

Replies: 5