Terrible 2.4Ghz performance on Deco M4 - (HW Version 2)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-12-27 17:52:19
Model: Deco M4  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.4.3

We have a home running 1 Deco M4 unit. We noticed that some phones couldn't connect to the network or saw extremely poor signal when even 1 meter away from the router. I think I figured out what is going on. Those devices that are seeing poor performance do not support 5Ghz (like the Pocophone or some cheaper Motorola phones). By disabling 5GHz on the router (so it only sends 2.4GHz) all devices on the network (even newer ones) receive terrible signal. If I put the phone 1 foot away from the router, it will only have 1 bar. I have never seen wireless performance this poor. While I have my phone 1 foot away from the router, it has 1 bar. But it can detect wireless with 3 bars from another router I set up to test 3 rooms away with 3 bars. 

Why is the 2.4GHz so terrible on my Deco M4? I can't figure it out. I tried disabling/enabling beam forming. Is my unit defective? I can't get ahold of anyone from TP Link support. Their phone number just gives a message about covid and recommends we use the support chat and then ends the call. For the life of me, I can't find the support chat. Perhaps it was removed. The only means of support I can find are these community forums.

Options
3 Reply
Re:Terrible 2.4Ghz performance on Deco M4 - (HW Version 2)
2020-12-28 10:02:08

@denadai 

Good day,

Thank you very much for your time and patience.

For your case, could you please help me check the following information:

1. How long have you had the Deco and when did this issue start?

2. Have you tried to reset the Deco and set it up again to have a look?

By the way, If only leave the main Deco M4, would the signal still be bad?

Thanks a lot for your understanding and support.

Options
2020-12-28 13:21:36 - last edited 2020-12-28 13:21:59

@TP-Link 

1) I've had this deco installed for about 1 week. Its had the problem the whole time it seems. Again, only devices which only support 2.4ghz see the problem which is why we didn't notice it right away.

2) Yes, i factory reset and power cycled of course

I only used 1 Deco M4 in this configuration, so yes its the main deco. 

Options
2021-01-16 08:39:18

@denadai Just to let you know, my Deco S4 is the same. The S4 and the M4 have the same hardware. Interesting to see it's not just me.

Deleting the network completely and setting it all up again from scratch with a different unit did help matters for me but speeds are still slower than they should be. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 869

Replies: 3

Related Articles