Powerline adaptor blocking access to kit with fixed IP address

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-12-28 13:25:27 - last edited 2020-12-28 15:40:44
Model: TL-WPA4220  
Hardware Version: V4
Firmware Version: 4.0.3 Build 20190326 Rel.43406

My home network configuration consists of:

• 3 TL-PA4010 power-line adaptors
    • one connected to my router, which is configured to use 192.168.0.X for my home network
    • one connected to a Solarmax inverter which by design has a fixed IP address (192.168.0.123) - this address is reserved in my router config
    • one connected to a network switch which has a PC and a raspberry Pi both of which get their IP address from the router (DHCP)
  • TL-WA854 WiFi extender

Most other devices in the house connect via WiFi - either to the router's AP or to the extender and therefore get their IP address from the router (via DHCP).

This config works well apart from the TL-WA854 which has been dropping its link to the router regularly so I decided to replace it and one of the power-line adaptors, both of which are plugged into adjacent mains sockets, with a TL-WPA4220 thus providing a neater and hopefully more robust WiFi extender solution. However, I find the Solarmax inverter no longer appears on my network. I can't ping it from anywhere on my network. If I look at the log files on the TL-WPA4220's web interface there's no messages about DHCP server activity which some other threads have mentioned.

If I reconnect the Solarmax to a TL-PA4010, I can see it on my network once again.

Anyone have any idea as to why the TL-WPA4220 doesn't play nicely with kit that has a fixed IP address?

Thanks.

Options
3 Reply
Re:Powerline adaptor blocking access to kit with fixed IP address
2020-12-30 09:23:34

@Swapnerd 

Hi, thank you very much for your detailed information.

We would like to forward your case to the senior engineers and please have a check of your email box later.

At the same time, could you please help me check the following information:

1. Was the Solarmax inverter only device affected?

2. How about setting the static IP address on the laptop and checking whether it is ping available or not?

3. If possible, setting Solarmax inverter tp use dynamic IP address, would everything work fine?

Thanks a lot and wait for your reply.

Options
2020-12-30 11:17:18

@TP-Link 

Thanks for your reply. Hopefully we can find a resolution soon.

I have some answers to your questions:

1) I can confirm that the Solarmax inverter is the only device affected.

2) This is a good test - I can check this later but the Raspberry Pi is also configured to use a static IP address although it is currently connected through the PA-4010 - see diagram in previous post. So an alternative thing to try is to connect the Rapsberry Pi into the network via the WPA-4220 and see if it is still visible on the network.

3) The Solarmax is limited and cannot be configured to use a dynamic IP address unfortunately.

Many thanks for looking into this issue.

Options
2021-01-01 10:18:01

@TP-Link 

Further to your question 2, I can confirm that a PC with a fixed IP address can see the network and can be seen by other devices on the network. So it would seem that the Solarmax is the exception.

Hope this helps.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 935

Replies: 3

Related Articles