Archer C6 dropping internet connection intermittently

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-12-29 01:39:41
Model: Archer C6  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.3.5 Build 20200630 rel.57406(4555)

Hi,

I am using the Archer C6 connected to my modem as the main router, and have the deco X20 3-pack connected to it as my wifi system. I have both 2.4 and 5GHz wifi off on the Archer C6, and wired internet keeps dropping connection. I have called my ISP and they say that the issue is my router, even though i have asked them to check for any IP conflicts on their end (there was one last night, but even after they refreshed it on their end, i still dropped connections intermittently through the night and this morning.).

System logs do not show anything, I can get internet back by releasing and renewing the IP connection via the admin page or by rebooting the router. I have attached the syslog below. Also i noticed that the system log does not show anything about the internet disconnection? I only notice when my internet goes down over ethernet and my deco X20 shows red light which means no internet.

I have tried turning off upnp. I would appreciate any help i can get, i have seen past posts on older beta firmware being more comfortable, and i dont want to upgrade to 1.3.6 given all the same issues also exist according to other posts. If there is really no way to fix this, i am not against using openwrt.

File:
syslog-2020-12-29.logDownload
Options
9 Reply
Re:Archer C6 dropping internet connection intermittently
2020-12-29 01:47:56

@tomyummmm 

Hello, may I know who is your ISP? What is the WAN connection type on the C6, Dynamic IP or PPPoE?

What is the internet LED status when you lose the connection, is it green or orange? Is there still a WAN IP address on the C6 WAN when you login to the web interface to renew the IP address?

Upgrading the firmware to the latest 1.3.6 may not help with the disconnect issue, but we may suggest you update first, as our engineer will follow it up on the latest firmware if there is an issue.

Options
2020-12-29 01:55:59

@Kevin_Z 

Starhub, Singapore.

Dynamic IP, when i lose connection it turns orange. I don't recall if there is still a WAN IP address before renewing. I will continue monitoring for that when internet disconnects again.

Options
2020-12-29 02:19:33

@Kevin_Z 

Options
2020-12-29 02:43:06

@tomyummmm 

Have you updated the router firmware?

Please ensure you have a stable connection by connecting your main PC to the Starhub modem, then write down its MAC address, connect the C6 back, then do a MAC clone:

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/1556/

If none of these helps, we will follow this up via email, please send us the whole system log when the router connects fine, then disconnected, then reconnect after a release and renew, thanks.

Options
2020-12-29 09:00:57 - last edited 2020-12-29 09:01:33

@Kevin_Z 

No i have not updated to latest firmware, still monitoring if the intermittent connection is due to ISP or the router.

I'll take note of what you said.

Options
2020-12-30 05:47:41

@Kevin_Z 

Hi, after further stress testing, i have found the issue. When the CPU is pegged at 100% for a short while will cause the internet to drop, i.e. high speed transfers or speed tests etc. Router will either hang and recover or just hang and require a reboot.

I have seen this reported for 1.3.6 as well, so i see no point in updating the firmware. Unless you have a firmware fix for this issue, it seems openwrt is my only other option.

Options
2020-12-30 11:12:13

@tomyummmm 

Hi, thanks for getting back. It is actually not suggested implementing a third-party software into the Archer C6, which will void the warranty, and we will no longer provide the support for it. However, this will be your own choice, if you just want to install the OpenWrt firmware, that is OK, you may search online to get some help, as we cannot provide any guidance on this. 

Options
2020-12-30 11:31:57

@Kevin_Z 

So do you have a firmware that fixes this issue thats happening on both 1.3.5 and 1.3.6?

Options
2021-01-13 02:55:08

@tomyummmm 

Hi, if you don't want to install the 1.3.6 official firmware on your Archer C6, please check if this beta firmware will help with the issue you are experiencing, you can try to disable the Onemesh feature on the C6:

https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/186586   (#49)

Options