C7 Wifi guest network is not separated

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-01-01 22:59:14 - last edited 2021-01-01 23:01:52
Model: Archer C7  
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version: 20201120

Hi folks and happy new year!

my C7 is in AP mode and connected via WAN (fixed IP) to the DSL router (which is also the DHCP server). Other LAN devices are connected to the C7 LAN ports.

I started the 2,4GHz Guest Network incl. encryption and so far I can connect and reach the internet.

But I can also reach all other LAN devices in my network, which makes the "guest" function useless.

The guest network has the same IP range as the normal network...is this ok?

I get the same behaviour when I connect the C7 via LAN to the DSL router and also when the C7 receives its IP via DHCP.

I can connect with the "guest" device to all other network devices, but not to the C7.

Of course, I expect that a guest device cannot connect to any other device.

These are my settings. A sometimes mentioned option like "allow guests to see local devices" or so, I don´t have.

"Sharing Network" just shows me the login data and a QR code.

Any idea, why the guests are not separated from the normal network?

Many thanks!

Options
1 Reply
Re:C7 Wifi guest network is not separated
2021-01-02 01:27:19

@JakeB 

Hey

I have a VR600 and for a while was using the guest network and as you confirmed it on the same subnet as the "LAN"

However this was not an issue as once enabled the configuration would automatically create firewall / control rules to stop guests and LAN talking dispite the same subnet.  I would expect this is the case for you also.  There is a setting usually disable access to local network as shown below (my router).  I had to enable advanced setting to see this.

The user manual for your C7 also indicates this should be an option.

https://www.tp-link.com/us/user-guides/archer-a7&c7_v5/chapter-8-guest-network#ug-sub-title-1

Regards

Phil

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 489

Replies: 1

Related Articles