VR2800 WiFi connectivity dropping

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-01-05 17:38:51
Model: Archer VR2800  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 0.3.0 0.9.1 v006c.0 Build 170809 Rel.42095n

Since installing the above device I have experienced regular WiFi device connectivity issues.  Internet connectivity seems fine but wireless device connectivity drops out for short periods of time.

Video streaming speed has also dropped, ie Netflix and YouTube.

Wired devices seem ok.

I have looked through the forum and followed what advice I could find ie change DNS, switch off QoS but it still happens.  Just moments ago I lost WiFi access on my iPhone but it was still working on my Fire TV device, both wireless so it isn't ISP or internet access related.

I should also state that it was working ok on my previous router which I replaced with the 2800 for better access int he house.  So far, a bad idea.

Sonos device connectivity has also degraded since installing the 2800 unfortunately.

Any advice appreciated before I return the device.

Thanks

Options
4 Reply
Re:VR2800 WiFi connectivity dropping
2021-01-06 07:41:15

@kilfinan 

Hello, we can look into this, but we would need some more information, we hope you could help:

1. When you are mentioning the connections drops on the VR2800, are you connected to the 2.4G or 5G network on the phones, Fire TV or Sonos?

What channel are you currently using and what channel width (20/40/80MHz)? Try to run a Wi-Fi analyzer to look for a clear 2.4G and 5G channel, it will show you the nearby APs and what channel they are using. 2.4GHz is a very congested range generally so avoidance of the neighbors can be difficult.

2. As per your description, it seems that the disconnects happen randomly on different devices, can you confirm if that specific device is still connected to the network, or it is disconnected from the network when the internet drops? If it still connects to the network but shows no internet, please check if it still gets a correct IP address from the VR2800, you can also try to set a static IP on it, then confirm.

Additionally, please refer to the troubleshooting guide below to narrow down the issue:

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2238/

Have a nice day.

Options
2021-01-06 11:17:54

@Kevin_Z 

Hi,

Happened last night and again this morning.  iPhone still showed the wifi icon as connected but Youtube stop working.  I tried switching WiFi off and on with no success then just starts working again.

I listen to white noise on Youtube throughout the night and it cut out so had to go to 3G.

Seems to be both 2.4 and 5.  I don't live in a built up area so would question neighbour interference especially in the early hours of the morning.

2.4 is on 6 @ 20

5 is on auto for both

Sonos is on 2.4

iPhones vary

FireTv is on 5

It appears tp be still connected based on the wifi icon.  Also logging onto router shows internet access.

Hope this helps.

Options
2021-01-07 06:40:42

@kilfinan 

How much internet bandwidth you could get from the internet service provider, especially the upload bandwidth? Please show us the DSL status page on the VR2800, thanks.

Options
2021-02-17 18:39:44

@kilfinan I have exactly the same issue. No luck in solving it yet 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 928

Replies: 4

Related Articles