fixed IP addresses

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

fixed IP addresses

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
fixed IP addresses
fixed IP addresses
2021-01-05 22:05:01
Model: Archer VR2800  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 0.5.0.0.9.1 v006c.0 build 201103

Hi,

What is the difference between 'Reserve LAN IP Addresses' and 'IP and MAC binding'

Both seem to link MAC address to IP address.

Options
2 Reply
Re:fixed IP addresses
2021-01-05 22:34:34

@G8HAV 

One is a way of reserving an IP address, the other a security feature. 

Reserve LAN IP   -  basically enter a MAC address of something, say a printer.  each time this device connects it will be given this address.  No-one else can be given this address via DHCP.     However... if I had a device that statically set that same IP address (not using DHCP) I could cause a conflict with the printer on the network as the DHCP would try to allocate that address which is already in use..

IP to MAC binding in short is a method to attempt to stop this.    Taking the example above, if I want to fix that conflict I can "bind" that MAC address to that IP.    This is nothing to do with giving the address out, rather which one to trust as legit.   In a conflict scenario it will choose the one with a binding.. if neither has a binding it will conflict.    In 20 years of installing servers, never had to use IP to MAC binding, but it is there.

Options
Re:fixed IP addresses
2021-01-07 12:14:52
Many Thanks
Options