Is there a way to reset the TL-SG1008D?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-01-13 17:01:14
Model: TL-SG1008D  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: UN/6.0

Good afternoon,

I bought three years ago this switch and for whatever reason it is not transfering internet any longer to any of the 8 ports available.

The different LEDs do light, but no internet connection is available.

And it is not a router problem, since the ports of the router work properly.

Is there any way I can reset the device? 

What could be the problem?

Many thanks,

Options
19 Reply
Re:Is there a way to reset the TL-SG1008D?
2021-01-14 17:23:32

@BTMJ 

That switch is an unmanaged switch and therefore doesnt have or need reset

When you indicate you are having an issue with the internet not working, can you check some things?

press WINDOWS + R   to open a run box

type CMD and press ok

in the command prompt type    ipconfig   you are looking for an IPv4 address that starts with    192.   172.   or  10.    If you are getting a 169. address there is an issue.

in the same window try the following command

ping ADDRESS_OF_DEFAULT_GATEWAY   -  eg     ping 192.168.1.1

hopefully you will get replies as below

send us the details of how this test goes and we can help further..

Options
2021-01-15 19:27:37

@Philbert I'm jumping the band wagon as this happened to me couple of days ago.

these are my results by doing the tests that @BTMJ suggested.

First test connected direct to my router with internet.

then connected via the switch.

then done the ping test

Does my findings correlate to anybody else with the same issues.

Could this be blamed on any windows updates?

Thanks

Options
2021-01-15 20:59:35

@Nevian900 

Hey

So you are getting an IP address given to the computer, for your its 192.168.1.100  with your default gateway (internet router) having the address 192.168.1.1

This is all good, if you where getting an addresss starting 169.something.something.something   that would be reason for concern.  Basically if you are getting what you pasted above the switch is working for you.

The ping command is failing as you need to ping whatever your default gateway is.. in this case its 192.168.1.1  

change this command to   

ping 192.168.1.1  

and you should get a reply like below...  that will indicate that there is a connection to the router via the switch..   ping is basically computer term for " hello are you there"  ideally you will get a reply like below

I would expect this to work for you ... its indicates the switch is working ok and doing it job sending the data from your PC/Latop to the router.  

Next time the internet drops, do the same test and look for the same results.. if they are the same its not your switch that at fault

Options
2021-01-15 22:32:23

@Philbert 

Many thanks for your explanation.

Two issues I want to comment:

1. I use Mac.... Maybe this is the problem?

2. I'm not an expert... therefore sorry beforehand if my ignorance makes me write silly things. Ok, let's go: The IP address that you were mentioning would actually be set if I had connection to internet vie Ethernet coming from the TP-Link switch, right? but since it is not working, how can I get an IP address at all?

Thanks for your help and time!!!

Options
2021-01-15 22:34:06
And thank you (to @Nevian900) as well. What IO wrote to @Philbert applies to you as well. Muchas gracias!
Options
2021-01-15 22:39:54
what I done was to bypass the switch and connect my PC direct to the router. you will have internet access so you can get your IP address. give that a try
Options
2021-01-15 23:31:27

@Philbert 

and thanks @BTMJ 

Redone the tpconfig and ping test.

first box shows the results with my PC connected directly to my router

2nd test was done with my pc connected to the switch with a notice saying....

this was my results

So these results tell me that the switch is working?????? and the ping test is just a bit slower (not that I would notice) by 3ms.

Options
2021-01-16 01:45:15 - last edited 2021-01-16 01:59:54

@Nevian900 

Hey Nevian

Ok see the issue here..   your switch must be a smart switch of some type, its handing out IP addresses..  What model is the switch?   If its handing out IP addresses its either a smart switch or a router, ot something else is causing this. If you tell me the model I might be able to help more..

You will notice connected directly to the router you are getting an address of   192.168.0.70   note the 0 

When connected to the switch you are getting a 192.168.1.100  address    note the 1

Basically the switch is handing out IP addresses on a different network from your router..   0 vs 1  these need to be the same.  Switches cannot move data between different networks, this requires a router... its nearly always the 3rd number that identifies this.     As said if you can mention or note what model you have that would help, it could well be that it isnt the switch doing this but instead something else..    If you connect to the switch and type  192.168.1.1  into the browser it should take you to this device and give you an idea what is handing out the addresses.   Message a screenshot back to me if you need advice on this

2x ways to sort this..

1.  connect to switch and from a browser type   192.168.1.1   this will take you to the switch (or whatever it is), once logged in look for DHCP SERVER and disable it..  then go to LAN setting on the switch and change its IP address to 192.168.0.2   this will put it on the same network as the router and should sort the issue

2.  connect directly to the router and do the reverse :)   setting it for 192.168.1.2 

Personally i would go with 1..

Options
2021-01-16 01:54:51

@BTMJ 

Hey

Thats what I am hoping to find out, if you are getting a valid IP when connected to the switch it would indicate this is working ok... else yeah its likely your switch is stuffed.   From experience, unmanaged switches dont give issues and I have only ever seem a handful die.   They generally last for 10 years, hence im curious to see

IF you are on MAC try this below and post the screenshot of how you get on, hopefully will lead us some way. 

if you would be kind to follow the instructions below and send a picture like below, then we know more and do some tests for you

When on the switch Go to System Preferences > network and select ETHERNET... hopefully it reads as connected.

You will see something like below, note down (or screenshot) the info and paste it here.. least we know what we are working with.   Do the same when directly connected to the router..

Thanks

Options
2021-01-16 09:20:25

@Philbert

I have the same model which is why I  rudely jumped in the conversation.

Can't  remember when I bought it

I'll  do test later. Thanks

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 12027

Replies: 19

Related Articles