PPPoE cannot connect automatically on startup

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-01-16 21:58:06 - last edited 2021-01-18 01:50:42
Model: Archer C20  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 0.9.1 4.0 v0044.0 Build 160427 Rel.39650n

When I restart the modem, internet led stays orange and others blue and the pppoe connection won't show connected. Then I have to go into the Tether app-> pppoe settings -> tap save. And it gets connected instantly.

PFA logs

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks 🙏

File:
log.txtDownload
Options
9 Reply
Re:PPPoE cannot connect automatically on startup
2021-01-17 15:08:21 - last edited 2021-01-18 01:50:42

@Kanak 

Did you try configuring this from the device itself via IP rather than via the App?

Just wondering if you changed and saved it directly on the device would this stick after a reboot.   Not seen anyone else report this issue

Options
2021-01-17 17:11:52 - last edited 2021-01-18 01:50:42

@Philbert 

Thanks for the reply.

Yes I have configured via ip address only. My ISP needs PPPoE "Service Name" set to a specific value and that is available only on the web UI, not the app.

So it connects when I change something and hit save on the web ui as well. But just doesn't connect automatically on startup.

I checked with my friends tenda router just to check if its an IPS issue but that router was working fine.

I found some more open threads that might be related but there was no solution:

https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/76193

https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/222166

Options
2021-01-18 02:18:10

@Kanak 

Hi, thanks for the logs and posts. May I know who is your ISP? Is the modem provided by your ISP stable? As per your description, it seems that the line or the modem is not stable, and the C20 cannot build up the connection automatically?

Can I have the Network>>WAN page? You can cover/hide the PPPOE username and password for any security concerns.

BTW, it seems you have already restarted the C20 according to the log, so we cannot find any useful info, please send the log again next time when the connection drops but failed to reconnect, DON'T restart the C20 manually, just leave it without internet, then login to its web interface, go to WAN page, click on Disconnect then Connect, check if you can get the internet back. Then go to System Log to save the log and send it here.

Thanks.

Options
2021-01-18 05:12:17 - last edited 2021-01-18 05:13:58

@Kevin_Z 

Thanks for looking into it.

ISP: SITI Broadband India

I believe the modem is stable because there are no connection drops, only when I restart my tp link router (I didn't turn off the modem) it doesn't connect automatically, but after one manual reconnect, it stays connected. And as I said, earlier I had a friend's router (tenda company router) that was successfully connecting on re-start.

PFA the network -> WAN Screenshot & new logs

File:
log (1).txtDownload
Options
2021-01-18 08:35:22

@Kanak 

Thank you very much for the screenshot and logs. While the system time on the C20 seems still incorrect, can you please confirm if the C20 connects to the internet successfully?

Try to choose "Set the DNS server manually" on the WAN, then set it to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4, then reboot the C20 again to confirm if it can connect to the internet. Check again if the system time is correct.

Options
2021-01-18 09:26:20 - last edited 2021-01-18 09:27:17

@Kevin_Z 

I crossed my fingers 🤞 and was hopeful but it didn't work! :(
PFA new logs

BTW, if you see my old logs where I manually connected after restart:
that time also the time was incorrect but it gets corrected after the connection is established

File:
log.txtDownload
Options
2021-01-19 08:16:27

@Kanak 

Hi, just want to confirm, when you mention the C20 restarts, did you power it off manually then power it on? Or you click the Reboot button on its web interface?

Did the router turn off automatically often? Or is the power supply in your house not stable?

Does this issue happen all the time that it fails to connect to the internet every time it restarts, or it just occurs randomly?

Options
2021-01-19 08:40:02 - last edited 2021-01-19 08:41:52

@Kevin_Z 

The power is stable as it's on the inverter. we rarely face power failures anyway. And also, the router does not restart automatically.

The common reason this happens:
1. (Rare) Power goes down for so long that inverter battery is also drained

2. (Rare) parents accidentally switch off the wall socket while looking for some other switch

3. I reboot using tplink admin panel for testing this issue

All of the above scenarios have a same outcome: the router boots up, but couldn't establish a pppoe connection without manual intervention.

This is at my parent's home so it's fine when I'm around I can quickly fix it but I fear when I'm not around they won't be able to fix it.

Options
2021-01-20 09:47:37
So now, I bought a new router (from Tenda company as it was popular here) and the new one is working fine when I restart it. I'm using my TP-LINK C20 as an access point now just to extend the network coverage. I'd be happy to still help with further investigation of this issue.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2208

Replies: 9

Related Articles