DHCP is being maxed out

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

DHCP is being maxed out

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
DHCP is being maxed out
DHCP is being maxed out
2021-01-16 23:37:02
Model: Archer AX20  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.2

Hello, I've had an on going problem with my network. I replaced my net gear router because it would freeze and slow to a halt every week or 2 with a archer AX20.  The problem I thought was solved but it seems to have come back with this router also which leads me to believe it's something else.  This router does handle the problem better.  When the problem happens, most devices connected are fine where the other router would freeze.  When I try say to use my iPad it won't connect so I use a manual IP and it'll connect but I get no internet.  I reset the router and all is good.  Today it happened again but it was my sons PS4 that wouldn't connect.  So I did a network scan and I noticed every single I.P. Address is taken.  The dhcp on the router is set to 100-254 amd everyone in that range is gone.  I disconnected a switch supplying a few device and my son connected instantly but the scan still says the IP address are being used.  I don't use more than 50 with smart switch etc.  I have a few tp link unmanaged switches and I have the deco e4 mesh system in access mode.  I've had a problem with this network for at least 4 years with different setups.  Could it be a faulty cable Ethernet cable?

Options
6 Reply
Re:DHCP is being maxed out
2021-01-17 00:04:14
Also it doesn’t matter if I try to connect to the acher or decos the same thing happens.
Options
2021-01-17 00:17:04
Just did another scan and now (45 min later) amd I have the correct number devices on the network
Options
2021-01-17 02:31:26

@Imee1976 

Hi,

Normally a router should only assign one IP address per connected device, which also means one IP address per MAC address.

This is just a wild guess on my part, but I wonder if there might be a client device in your network that has "MAC address randomization" enabled and doesn't handle it properly?

If such a device was to frequently connect and disconnect from your Wi-Fi network (perhaps due to weak signal) and in the process change its MAC address every time, then it could well take up all the available IP addresses before the "Lease Time" of each of the now unused IP addresses has expired. (usually set to 120 minutes = 2 hours) 

Due to privacy concerns more and more Wi-Fi client devices have this "MAC randomization" feature, sometimes it's even enabled by default. 

Options
2021-01-17 02:38:22
Never thought of that, the issue I’m having is this is a once in a week or 2 event so taking off devices that need to be used for that long is a problem. Would chrome books or laptops have this feature? It’s funny I use a network scanner on my iPad but the clients section on the tether app isn’t populated.
Options
2021-01-17 13:51:28

@Imee1976 

I don't know about Chromebooks, but in recent builds of Windows 10 you can activate such a feature under Start -> Settings -> Network & Internet -> Wi-Fi. For Apple iOS devices you can find some information here: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211227

However, I would expect the implementations of MAC randomization from major players like Microsoft, Apple, etc. not to cause the troubles you are having. They use different MAC addresses for different Wi-Fi networks, but it should always stay the same for a particular Wi-Fi network.

Android 11 introduced an "enhanced" version of this feature (in the Developer Options) that apparently would indeed change the MAC address every time it connects.

If you want to find out if your router problems maybe arise from one client device frequently changing its MAC address and you don't mind going through some effort, then you could try adding all your devices to the "Whitelist" of your AX20 and activate Access Control. If any of the devices later changed its MAC address on its own, then it would not be able to access the Network anymore.

Options
2021-01-18 09:56:44

@Imee1976 

Hi, if you don't mind, I would also want to know what is the detailed network layout/diagram, that how are the AX20, unmanaged switches, and the Deco E4 are connected to the network, then we can check if there is an issue.

If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options