TP Link Pass-through and Surge protected extension lead

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-01-20 20:29:46 - last edited 2021-01-20 21:00:13
Model: TL-WPA8630P KIT  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: Latest

Hello, 

just have a question about the TP Link TL-WPA8630PKit pass-through. I have a Belkin BSV804 8 way surge protected extension lead and I'm wondering if I can plug it into the TP Links pass-through that is connected to the wall outlet. I was originally using two outlets, one for the TP Link powerline adapter and one for the extension lead. But recently the ping has started spiking constantly and it only happens later on in the day so I feel like the extension cable is causing issues for the powerline adapter because they are both plugged into the outlets next to each other. When I first turn my PC on I get no issues at all and my ping is stable, then later on in the day my ping begins spiking. I don't think it's any appliances causing the issue because nothing is really turned on later at night. I have done loads of tests on ping plotter with and without the powerline adapters. The ping spikes are not a thing when over wifi apart from the odd one because it's wifi. But as soon as I plug the powerline adapter back in I get ping spikes. Anyway any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Simon

Edit: I also forgot to ask, if I plug the surge protected extension lead into the pass-through would I still get interference anyway? Also in this extension lead I have my two monitors, gaming pc and Xbox One X. The extension lead is also rated at 13Amps and the TP Link is supposedly rated at 16Amps but on the actual powerline adapter it says input and output is rated at 13Amps. I'm also from the UK if that helps at all.

Options
3 Reply
Re:TP Link Pass-through and Surge protected extension lead
2021-01-21 10:51:39

@SimonSlays 

Hi, thanks for your patience.

You could try to enable the lower VDSL mode to see if the ping spike would be improved or not;

https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/faq/2027/

As for the surge protector, if possible, please do not connect the surge protected extension lead to the powerline pass-through;

Thank you very much.

Options
2021-01-21 14:11:34

@TP-Link Okay thanks for the reply, I'll try do what you have suggested and get back to you if it has worked.

Options
2021-01-21 17:53:44

@TP-Link I have applied the new settings and my ping is far better than before with less frequent spikes. The thing I don't understand is, with my old TP Link powerline adapter that was a lot cheaper, I would plug it into an old extension lead that wasn't surge protected along with my pc and other things and it would work perfectly normal without any ping spikes at all. The only issue with it was the lower amount of Mbps being transferred by the adapters, that's the reason I upgraded to this more expensive model.

Do you think it is the surge protected extension lead that is causing the interference? Because I bought both of these things at the same time and like I said I got no ping spikes when using the old extension lead with the other TP Link model. If so I will definitely be buying an extension without a surge protection. 

Also please could you explain to me why the surge protected extension lead can't go into the passthrough? On the images I have seen on your website it says it's okay to use an extension lead through the passthrough. 

thanks again for the help.

Options

Information

Helpful: 2

Views: 2029

Replies: 3

Related Articles