Poor wireless on new router on one device

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Poor wireless on new router on one device

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
17 Reply
Re:Poor wireless on new router on one device
2021-01-27 23:04:40

@SophieMay 

Hey again

The LAN  WAN port is a combo port for connecting to antoher mode,/router.  Its best to not use this unless its 100% required, stick to a LAN port and it should be better for you

In relation to your wifi.. did you disable SmartConnect again?  it will merge the wifi under one name and that might be the issue.   Check the 5Ghz has a slightly different name from the 2.4 (add a 5 at end or something) and save this.  try reconnecting. 

When not using smartconnect it wise / good to have the 2x different frequencies set with different names.. you can use the same password / security if easier

Keep me posted on how you get on..

Phil

Options
2021-01-28 02:55:10
Options
2021-01-28 07:34:21 - last edited 2021-01-28 07:35:41

@Philbert 

Good Morning,

Yes, I still have the Smart connect disabled. I renamed the 5GHz and that's the only one I could see on my partner's connections but it won't connect. I've checked his adapter and its capable of connecting to dual bands yet seems unable to detect 2.4 and won't connect to 5. Our TV works fine on the 5GHz network in the same room.

I don't mind not being able to use the 5GHz for our PCs but I'd still like to get his PC to work via Wireless and not just Ethernet.

Thank you for all your help so far.

Options
2021-01-28 20:05:35

@SophieMay 

Sorry for slow reply.. Can you send us a screenshot of the Wifi config for the 2.4 and 5ghz to take a look?   like the one you provided at first.  

Hopefully something will jump out at us

Options
2021-01-29 07:41:32 - last edited 2021-01-29 10:10:58

@Philbert 

No need to apologise!

Here are my settings. I tried channel 13 for 2.4GHz but this had no effect on the channel appearing. The 5GHz always appears now but I just get the message "Unable to connect". I would expect this to be the other way round if it was an adapter issue but strange how it can see 5GHz. My computer is fine now and receiving 24MB wirelessly on 2.4GHz however when trying to use Zoom for work my bandwidth was poor and I had to plug in with the ethernet as it disconnected. I will be switching back the router to the Plusnet again. I'm even tempted to send this TP back at this point.

Options
2021-01-30 13:29:44

@SophieMay 

That is a very strange one indeed, usually the 5ghz doesnt give any issues

Try changing the channel to 44 or 40 and set the width back to AUTO.  This will force it to reconfigure, then delete the saved WiFi from the device and reconnect manually.  

Keep us posted how you get on

Options
2021-01-31 08:34:24

@Philbert 

No luck I'm afraid. We've just decided to keep the ethernet plugged into his PC and I've bought another ethernet for when mine become unstable.

We've definitely noticed some benefits from having the router which makes me hesitant to change it back. It's a shame we can't figure out the WiFi issue, it seems to disconnect devices a lot too, having to re-enter the passwords again which is a tad annoying.

Options
Related Articles