WiFi password doesn’t work

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-02-01 19:07:52 - last edited 2021-02-10 03:13:19

So I bought an AC2800 but here's a strange one. The WiFi password on the bottom of the router and also on the enclosed card doesn't work. I've even reset the router a couple of times but still it won't connect to either normal or 5G SSID. Any ideas? I do have a call open with TP Link but wondered if any one has any ideas

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:WiFi password doesn’t work-Solution
2021-02-02 12:38:24 - last edited 2021-02-10 03:13:19

@Martint235 I've made progress. I was too fixated on the laptop and the fact the router lives in the hall. D'oh. For setting it up it doesn't need to be connected to the phone line, so a quick trip next door let me Ethernet onto it and change the password. I can now connect (the password on the router bears no resemblance to that one provided by TP Link). Now busy at work so can't swap the router out yet but it looks promising.

Recommended Solution
Options
9 Reply
Re:WiFi password doesn’t work
2021-02-02 11:28:50

@Martint235 

Hey

What error are you getting when you try to connect and what device are you using?  

It could be a number of things causing it if honest.

I would personally connect a laptop to the LAN port and log into the device via IP, from there you can change the WiFi name (SSID) and the password if you feel necessary.

Try changing the encryption to WPA2 AES (most common used today) and see if that connects.  Any issues do just reply with any screenshots you can provide would help

Options
2021-02-02 11:32:16

@Philbert 

Hi it just says unable to connect to the network. I'm using an iPad and an iPhone.  I unfortunately don't have anything with a lan port other than my very secure work laptop so I can't do that. As I can't connect wirelessly to the device to change any of the settings.

I'm sending it back as it obviously doesn't work properly

Options
2021-02-02 11:40:44

@Martint235 

If your laptop has a LAN port can you not disconnect the AC2100 from the telephone/WAN port and configure it locally before reconnecting?  It would be literally air-gapped so cant get much more secure than that

Or perhaps borrow a laptop for 10mins?     Just thinking that to return something as faulty the company you bought it from may ask you to test this first.   Personally and IPad and IPhone not connecting.. wouldn't be enough for me to justify it as faulty, I would want that tested more.

Options
2021-02-02 11:44:22
The laptop is configured not to allow connections through the LAN port unfortunately. I can see if I can borrow a laptop but I can’t be alone in being a purely wireless household. I’m surprised that the password given doesn’t work but that could just be an error on their part
Options
Re:WiFi password doesn’t work-Solution
2021-02-02 12:38:24 - last edited 2021-02-10 03:13:19

@Martint235 I've made progress. I was too fixated on the laptop and the fact the router lives in the hall. D'oh. For setting it up it doesn't need to be connected to the phone line, so a quick trip next door let me Ethernet onto it and change the password. I can now connect (the password on the router bears no resemblance to that one provided by TP Link). Now busy at work so can't swap the router out yet but it looks promising.

Recommended Solution
Options
2021-02-02 12:58:17

@Martint235

Ah we have all been there!    Glad you got sorted ok and connected now  smiley

Options
2021-02-02 13:00:01
Not quite connected yet. I need a slot in a busy WfH day to take my network down and put the new router in but touch wood all should be ok
Options
2021-02-02 18:55:21
All connected now. Just letting it settle down. Thanks for your help
Options
2021-02-02 21:36:10

@Martint235 

Ah nice one, glad you got sorted!

Options

Information

Helpful: 0