Deco x60 causes TP-link switch to enable loop protection in STAR connection pattern

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Deco x60 causes TP-link switch to enable loop protection in STAR connection pattern

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-02-02 03:52:47
Model: Deco X60  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.2.6

Hello,

I am having an issue with my TP-Link switch enabling loop protection when I use wired backhaul on the Deco X60.

My setup is modem with main Deco X60 connected

Then the switch is connected to the other port on the X60

Then three more Deco X60 are connected to the switch

The problem is that the switch disables the main deco from connecting as it goes into loop protection mode. In this scenario the closest deco wirelessy connects to the main deco and since all are on the switch

As soon as I disable loop protection on the switch they all work normally and report they are all connected by enternet.

So far it seems to work, BUT I should be able to use loop protections AND why is this happening

So again, I am using the STAR pattern to connect and the switch is a tp-link.

Modem

|

Main DECO

|

TP-Link Switch (TL-SG1016PE)

|                 |                 |

DECO       DECO        DECO

I get loop detection at main DECO and port is shut down

Options
4 Reply
Re:Deco x60 causes TP-link switch to enable loop protection in STAR connection pattern
2021-02-02 23:28:12

Are there any Admins or TP-Link Gurus that can explain to me what is happening and how to make it stop happening? 

I feel that the Decos still ping each other wirelessly, and so somehow are connected, when in wired backhaul - so a good switch detects this and enables loop protection.

I can't seriously have to disable loop protection to use a Deco? That really seems like no solution at all.

Anyone?

Options
Re:Deco x60 causes TP-link switch to enable loop protection in STAR connection pattern
2021-02-03 01:07:16

@NativeCanadian 

Hi,

Thanks for your patience.

You are right and before the Ethernet finally created, the Deco units would remain wireless backhaul which would activate the Loop Prevention on TL-SG1016PE;

As for the available solution, currently, the best way might be to turn off the Loop Prevention on the switch temporarily and once the Ethernet backhaul is created, you could enable the Loop Prevention again.

Thank you very much and wait for your reply.

Options
2022-02-25 21:46:21

@NativeCanadian 

I have encountered simliar issue recently.

Mine is the latest firmware 1.5.0 build 20210121.

My setup is a little defferent.

I have the DECO in AP mode and connect to all my 3 DECO to a switch.

The northbound of the switch connects to a router.

router

|

|

swtch

|

|

+-----------------+--------------+

DECO         DECO            |

|

+

switch

|

+--------+----------+

DECO               PC

The connection is fine initially. After some time (I am not sure how long it takes),

I notice the connection of the PC which is physical wired connected to a switch becomes very slow.

I notice that the upper switch detects a loop and shuts down the port which connects to the second switch.

In this case, the connection of the PC goes through the DECO wirelessly so the speed drops.

I don't have solution for the issue. I can only disconnect all the wire connection of the DECO.

I lose the backhaul connection benefit and I hope TP link can address this issue.

Options
2022-03-01 08:55:48

@jimmy_lin 

Hi, Thank you for your feedback.

There hasn’t been a plan to change the current design that wireless backhaul will keep active until Ethernet backhaul is finally created yet.

May I know the model number of your network switch?

Have you tried the recommended suggestion: please turn off the Loop Prevention on the switch temporarily and once the Ethernet backhaul is created, you could enable the Loop Prevention again.

Thank you very much.

Options

Information

Helpful: 3

Views: 2699

Replies: 4