Cannot access internet AFTER using TL-WA901ND in client mode

Cannot access internet AFTER using TL-WA901ND in client mode
Cannot access internet AFTER using TL-WA901ND in client mode
2021-02-03 14:44:07 - last edited 2021-02-08 09:23:55
Model: TL-WA901ND
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version: 3.16.9 Build 160929 Rel.37753n

I used the TP-Link AP in Client Mode for my desktop and it worked perfectly. Now I am in a home office with ethernet and when connected I cannot browse to any web pages. Email works, I can RDP into the desktop from my work laptop and Windows Updates work. DNS works because a ping resolves to an IP address, and an NSLOOKUP works as expected. I have cleared the ROUTE table and rebooted, I have deleted the DHCP lease from the server and I have 'forgotten' the device. I have set static IP details pointing to 8.8.8.8 as DNS and the router as gateway to bypass anything on my network (I have a Rasberry Pi running PiHole and Ubiquiti equipment) and plugged directly into the router.

 

Interestingly if I plug the AP back into the desktop as it was before, web browsing works fine. I can only imagine that the desktop is expecting to use the AP as a gateway or route or similar, but from what I have looked at this is not the case.

 

Can anyone help with this?

2
2
#1
Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Cannot access internet AFTER using TL-WA901ND in client mode-Solution
2021-02-08 09:23:48 - last edited 2021-02-08 09:23:55

@TP-Link Good morning.

 

Just to let you know that I have resolved this over the weekend. The fix ended up being reinstalling the Ethernet driver (obtained directly from GigaByte's website, the motherboard manufacturer) on the PC, which is strange because I had already tried to update it and it was on the latest version (the same version I reinstalled). Perhaps using the TP-Link AP in Client Mode corrupted it, and worth noting that I couldn't even get internet by connecting the TP-Link AP in the end which perhaps supports this theory.

 

So just a heads up to anyone that uses a TP-Link AP in Client Mode - for me it worked perfectly and provided a solution where the only other real option was Powerline adapters (I have a few TL-PA7017's from a previous application) but this wouldn't have been ideal given the electrical infrastructure of where the PC was. HOWEVER when you can do take the opportunity to download the Ethernet driver and store it somewhere safe should you need it. I am lucky in the sense that I have a laptop I used to download and transfer the driver from, but if I only had the PC then I would have been stuck!

 

Many thanks

 

Adam

Recommended Solution
0
0
#4
Options
3 Replies
Re:Cannot access internet AFTER using TL-WA901ND in client mode
2021-02-05 02:41:50

@DJMONSTA 

Hi, thanks for your feedback.

I am not sure what happened as well and might need to check with the senior engineers.

At the same time, could you please provide me two pictures of your network structure, with and without the 901ND?

Thank you very much and wait for your reply.

0
0
#2
Options
Re:Cannot access internet AFTER using TL-WA901ND in client mode
2021-02-05 11:45:35

@TP-Link thank you, I appreciate the help.

 

Please see below very basic network diagram only focusing on the route from the affected PC to the Virgin Media SuperHub (so by extension INTERNET):

 

 

 

I have tried connecting the PC directly to the VM hub and the PC behaves the same way. I have also statically assigned an IP using 8.8.8.8 as DNS to prove that the PiHole is not affecting it, and the PC still behaves the same way.

 

Commands I have tried on the PC to fix the issue:

 

ipconfig /release

ipconfig /renew

ipconfig /flushdns

netsh winsock reset

netsh int ip reset

netsh advfirewall reset

route -f

chkdsk c: /f

sfc /scannow

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

 

Things I have also done:

 

Disabled Windows Firewall

Enabled logging with Windows Firewall (when enabled) and tested, nothing is blocked

Windows Updates

Updated to Windows 10 20H2

Uninstalled BitDefender (AV)

'Forget' device in Unifi controller

Delete DHCP lease on PiHole

Uninstalled the Ethernet device and rebooted to have it reinstall itself

Connected a laptop that had previously been relying on wifi to UniFi PoE switch with Ethernet, disabled Wifi, no issues.

Tried a different Ethernet cable with affected PC

 

I hope this is enough information, as you can see I have pretty much exhausted my networking knowledge now.

0
0
#3
Options
Re:Cannot access internet AFTER using TL-WA901ND in client mode-Solution
2021-02-08 09:23:48 - last edited 2021-02-08 09:23:55

@TP-Link Good morning.

 

Just to let you know that I have resolved this over the weekend. The fix ended up being reinstalling the Ethernet driver (obtained directly from GigaByte's website, the motherboard manufacturer) on the PC, which is strange because I had already tried to update it and it was on the latest version (the same version I reinstalled). Perhaps using the TP-Link AP in Client Mode corrupted it, and worth noting that I couldn't even get internet by connecting the TP-Link AP in the end which perhaps supports this theory.

 

So just a heads up to anyone that uses a TP-Link AP in Client Mode - for me it worked perfectly and provided a solution where the only other real option was Powerline adapters (I have a few TL-PA7017's from a previous application) but this wouldn't have been ideal given the electrical infrastructure of where the PC was. HOWEVER when you can do take the opportunity to download the Ethernet driver and store it somewhere safe should you need it. I am lucky in the sense that I have a laptop I used to download and transfer the driver from, but if I only had the PC then I would have been stuck!

 

Many thanks

 

Adam

Recommended Solution
0
0
#4
Options