Unable to access specific folder on mapped network drive connected to router via USB

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Unable to access specific folder on mapped network drive connected to router via USB

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-02-04 04:49:25
Model: Archer VR1600v  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: v5006.0

I have an external drive connected to my router via USB and mapped as a network drive in Windows.

I can access everything on the drive just fine, except for one specific folder.

Although the folder shows up in Windows Explorer just like all the other folders on the drive, when I try to access that folder specifically, I get an error pop-up as per below

If I try to access the network location using the UNC address, I get a rather similar error:

Trying to list the contents via command prompt also doesn't work:

If I instead connect the external drive directly to the USB port on my PC, I have no problems accessing the folder. This makes me suspect the problem is with the router configuration somehow, rather than with Windows or the external drive.

Options
4 Reply
Re:Unable to access specific folder on mapped network drive connected to router via USB
2021-02-05 16:31:27

@billesan 

I would say this is likely permissions as its one single folder.  Possibly your PC has the correct credentials to acess this folder others dont.

Try renaming the folder then create a new one with the old name, if that accessable then copy your data accross

Did you check the permissions?

Options
Re:Unable to access specific folder on mapped network drive connected to router via USB
2021-02-07 05:32:22 - last edited 2021-02-07 23:40:53

@Philbert Thanks for the creative suggestion. I've fiddled around with it some more, based on your suggestion.

What I did was:

1. Connect the drive to the router. Create another folder (as a backup) on the network drive

2. Connect the drive directly to a USB port on my pc. Copy all the files in the troublesome folder to the new folder

3. Connect the drive to the router. Try to access the new folder (this still did not work)

4. While the drive is still connected to the router, access the drive via FTP and navigate to the new folder. Delete files one at a time, each time trying to access the folder via Windows Explorer

Based on this approach I found that the problem only occurs when there are files above a certain size in the folder.

I'm not sure exactly what the threshold is, but image files with a size of >3GB causes problems, while image files with a size of >1GB are fine. Permissions on both the folder and the files are the same throughout, even the same as folders with no issues.

So it seems, I guess, that there is a limitation somewhere preventing me from accessing folders with files exceeding 2GB in size.

The drive is already formatted as NTFS

Options
2021-02-07 14:43:56 - last edited 2021-02-07 14:44:30

@billesan 

Sounds like the file system restricted to 4gb errror you get with FAT, but should not be the case with NTFS

If you have a spare pen drive around try formatting it as  exFAT  and copy the 4GB files to it then retry..   cant quite think why that would cause it but worth a try!!

If you feel curious of course!

Options
2021-02-07 23:43:26

@Philbert Thanks, I may give that a try. I will update this thread if I find a solution

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 634

Replies: 4

Related Articles