AX 11000 5 Ghz signal strength

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-02-08 05:27:01
Model: Archer AX11000  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I am new in this community so I am not up to date with all the topics.

I also have a new AX11000 router and I noticed that the WiFi signal from the first 5Ghz band is weaker than the second one (WiFi 5Ghz "Gaming) !?

This is normal ?... or both 5Ghz bands need to have the same signal strength ?

If YES ... OK. but if NOT !? What can I do to fix it ?

Thank you !

PS. I am on the latest firmware available.

Options
9 Reply
Re:AX 11000 5 Ghz signal strength
2021-02-08 07:16:58

@MagiX 

Firstly, please ensure you are running the latest firmware on the AX6000, you may hit the Check for updates on its web interface to confirm, or you can download from the official website.

If the firmware upgrade doesn't help, try to run a Wi-Fi analyzer to verify which 5G channel is clearer, then try the channel, you can also change channel width to 80MHz, change security to WPA/WPA2-Personal, WPA2-PSK/AES, then reboot it and confirm.

As for the antenna or router location, you may check these tips also:
https://www.tp-link.com/en/blog/87/6-tips-on-where-to-place-your-wireless-router-for-the-best-signal-coverage/

Options
2021-02-08 08:21:24

@Kevin_Z 

Hi Kevin,

I have this issue with the 5 Ghz WiFi bands strengths .... with both 5Ghz bands tested in the same conditions.

- Latest firmware for Archer AX11000

- Both on the 80MHz

- Both on transmit power set to HIGH

- Both on the WPA/WPA2-Personal

- OFDMA Enabled

- Each on different channel

- Both free from interference

- The measuring WiFi tool is placed exactly above the router so the router and antenna placement has no influence in this case.

... and still the WiFi signal from the first 5Ghz band is weaker than the second one.

So, as a conclusion based on your answer this situation is not normal ... but nothing for me to do about it, if there isn't a hardware issue maybe just to wait a future firmware update.

Thank you

Options
2021-02-08 09:20:36

@MagiX 

What if you disable the OFDMA on the AX11000, then reboot it and confirm?

Options
2021-02-08 09:52:38

@Kevin_Z 

Hi Kevin,

Thank you for your answer, I will try but...

If I will disable OFDMA what will be the point of having a Wi-Fi 6 (802.11ax) router ?

OFDMA is one of the critical feature that improve the network performance increasing the network speed and efficiency !

- Lower overhead and higher performance – It’s a considerable savings to combine short packets into one.

- Lower latency transmission - Parallel communication is more efficient with long frames and low-rate transmission.

- Improve overall QoS and makes effective utilization of bandwidth in a high-density environment.

- Higher client numbers - On a packet-by-packet basis, OFDMA allows router to support more clients.

- Reduce battery usage of your devices after data transmission.

The point is that I don't want to turn an AX Wi-Fi 6 router into an AC one.

I will come back with a feedback but till then I strongly hope for a better solution.

Thank you

Options
2021-02-08 12:10:52

@MagiX 

We don't mean this will be the final solution for the issue you are reporting, just a suggestion that we can confirm if the 5GHz signal will be affected.

Options
2021-02-08 17:47:38

@MagiX 

Hi,

Actually, what you are seeing may be normal, depending on which country's version of the router you own.

The regulators that govern transmission of radio signals in each country or region in the world have defined different maximum transmit power limits for various sections of the 5 GHz band.

All manufacturers of WiFi devices have to abide by these rules. TP-Link actually mentions the transmit power levels in the specifications for each router.
https://www.tp-link.com/en/home-networking/wifi-router/archer-ax11000/#specifications

If we take the EU (CE) version for example:

5.15 GHz to 5.35 GHz equals to channels 36 to 64. Transmit power of 23 dBm translates to 200 mW.
5.47 GHz to 5.725 GHz equals to channels 100 to 140. Transmit power of 30 dBm translates to 1000 mW.

Actual transmit power is normally always lower, because the manufacturers need to keep some safety margin big enough to cover for variations in the manufacturing process. So they usually specify the transmit power as "less than x dBm".

Options
2021-02-09 04:39:06

@Kevin_Z 

Hi Kevin,

I have disabled the OFDMA and indeed something has changed, but not into a good way.

Now both 5G WiFI bands have the same signal strength but instead of increasing the weak 5Ghz one the one with better signal strength was decreased.

So in this way I lose OFDMA and signal strength :(

Options
2021-02-09 05:05:06

@woozle 

Hi Woozle,

What you say is mostly right, but anyway...

This router Archer AX11000 has 2 WiFI 5Ghz bands.

Of course each one can be seated on a different channel or the same one.

And if both are on the same channel (regardless which) both need to have the same signal transmit power, but they don't.

For a better understanding with OFDMA enabled :

- If I set the 5Ghz (1) on channel 36 and 5Ghz (2)  on channel 64 (as in your example), the 5Ghz (1) has stronger signal

- If I set the 5Ghz (1) on channel 36 and 5Ghz (2)  also on channel 36 the 5Ghz (1) has stronger signal

- If I set the 5Ghz (1) on channel 64 and 5Ghz (2)  on channel 36 still the 5Ghz (1) has stronger signal

- If I set the 5Ghz (1) on channel 64 and 5Ghz (2)  on channel 64 still the 5Ghz (1) has stronger signal

- ... and so one.

Always 5Ghz (1) has better and stronger signal except when I disable the OFDMA ... then both are equally but weaker signal, and this is not a solution.

Thank you

Options
2021-02-10 04:43:10

Hello,

So, after all of this "solutions" what will be next for me to do ?

PS. Anyway, from what I can see on this community, there are way more problems than solutions... so my hopes to a real solution are very low.

Thank you

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1352

Replies: 9

Related Articles