TL-WPA8630 drops connection

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-02-17 12:40:15
Model: TL-WPA8630 KIT  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 2.03

I bought this kit a few months ago to replace an old powerline adapter, and have had poor reliability from day one.

The first problem was the internal DHCP server (seriously, WTF??), which is now disabled which improved things greatly. But now the powerline link drops out after a week or two even though the Home Network LEDs are green both ends, I have to repower the adapters to re-establish connection.

There's no firmware update (only for the "P" version). I can't return the product to the retailer as it's not faulty per se so I'm stuck as is.

Does anyone else have/had this problem?

Options
5 Reply
Re:TL-WPA8630 drops connection
2021-02-18 17:19:34 - last edited 2021-02-18 17:20:32

Have a look at https://community.tp-link.com/us/home/forum/topic/204234 Upgrade the firmware (PLC part), but do this incrementally for each adapter: TL-PA8010 and TL-WPA8630 V2. This improves the connection stability (less dropouts, maybe completely gone) and much higher transfer rates. This is not difficult and read the thread on how to update the firmware on both devices. Some posts are quite detailled on how to do this. Read the first few posts and after that start reading at the last post and work your way back.

Options
2021-02-19 12:34:42

OK thanks for the reply. That's a loong thread with some 79 messages and masses of part numbers & firmware references over 8 pages so some reading to do...

It's not especially clear how this system hangs together. I have a TL-PA8010(UK) and a TL-WPA8630(UK) both v2.0. The 8010 takes a NVM or PIB file and the 8630 takes a BIN file to upgrade.

From one of the messages in that thread "The WPA8630P is actually two devices in one. Its a PLC device with an AP attached to it, everything in the same package. As such, there are two parts that can be upgraded, the PLC part and the AP part." which makes sense, but my 8630 only accepts a BIN file (which I think is for the AP)?

Can you let me know which file types do what? I really don't want to brick my adapters sad

Options
2021-02-19 18:54:29

@BillyWhizzz Just read the thread again. WPA8630(P): the tpPLC app only shows the firmware version of the WIFI component. To check firmware version of the PLC component install FRITZ!Powerline v01.03.00.

TL-PA8010(UK) V2: can be updates with the tpPLC app (nvm and pib)

TL-WPA8630(UK): can be updated with the old tp link app (nvm and pib) (post #26)

Extract your own pib from your devices (pib is device specific; however you can use a generic TL-WPA8630(UK) V2 and  TL-WPA8010(UK) V2 from the firmware package). Update incrementally, If your PLC firmware is 2.0.x update with 2.2.x first, 2.4,x next, ect.)

Options
2021-02-19 21:07:39

Still trying to work out, what exactly is a PIB file?

I uninstalled the tpPLC and reinstalled the "old" version from 2018 which displays nothing except for the screenshot below.

So, I need to install a competitor's utility to find out my version (2.2.2.0), replace the utility with some old software and load multiple versions of a 3rd party firmware just to get a stable working product?? Thanks TPLINK, I don't think I'll be buying any more of your products soon. Not that you care.

Just to be clear I'm not having a go at anyone from the community - in fact quite the opposite you guys should be applauded for your work - but jeez this is frustrating!!

Options
2021-02-20 11:49:22

BillyWhizzz wrote

I uninstalled the tpPLC and reinstalled the "old" version from 2018 which displays nothing except for the screenshot below.

Never mind, I found the answer to this one... I need to reset the date of my PC before 12 Jan to make it work!

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1073

Replies: 5

Related Articles