VR400 double NAT issue

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

VR400 double NAT issue

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
VR400 double NAT issue
VR400 double NAT issue
2021-02-18 08:21:44
Model: Archer VR400  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 0.5.0 0.9.1 v0070.0 Build 200706 Rel. 72720n

Basically I need to be able to port forward on my Google mesh network, which I believe I am unable to do due to double NAT being caused by the configuration of the VR400. 

I have Internet access, and visiting 192.168.1.1 allows me to use the VR400's gui, so I just need to know either how to disable it acting as a NAT while in DSL Modem Router Mode, or how to enable specific ports. 

I considered using the DMZ feature, but from what I understand about safety, it's not preferable, so if rather avoid that if possible. 

Options
3 Reply
Re:VR400 double NAT issue
2021-02-18 14:33:33 - last edited 2021-02-18 14:40:27

@Nouranium 

The VR400 is required to have NAT when in DSL mode and usually its easier to remove the lower chain NAT, in your case the Google Mesh.. however this is not always possible

You would be better going port forwarding, TP Link refer to this as Virtual Servers..  Setup the forwarding on whatever ports you need to the primary Mesh Node and that should work for you.  Is it a specific service or port you need?

DMZ should be a last choice, as you say it will fix the issue but does increase you security risk slightly..  In theory as long as the device you are putting into the DMZ is reliable / secure / trustworthy etc then there really shouldn't be any issue.     A device in DMZ will make no difference to having the same device connected to a standard MODEM, if the device you have in DMZ is a gateway router then technically it becomes your perimeter defense and firewall.

Options
2021-02-18 15:13:18 - last edited 2021-02-18 15:14:22

@Philbert 

Thanks for the response, I've tried what seems like everything in regards to the Google mesh, none of which worked. 

Current setup is turning on the second wireless network within the VR400, just for use with port forwarding using the DMV feature currently, since the Google mesh doesn't want to work. 

I think this solution, though unelegant may solve my problems. And I plan to hopefully configure the required ports manually once I get everything else working. 

Options
2021-02-18 15:16:21

@Nouranium 

Yeah it a bit of a pain that the google mesh require NAT enabled, 99% of the time it works but always one

What is the specific issue you are trying to bypass?   Is it one service or port?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 931

Replies: 3

Related Articles