Deco with Sky Q

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Deco with Sky Q

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Deco with Sky Q
Deco with Sky Q
2021-02-18 23:05:02 - last edited 2023-11-03 00:54:50
Model: Deco M4  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi - could anyone help with a problem we are having with a new set up. 

we have TP-Link Deco S4(3-pack) AC1200

I have set it up as per the instructions and it works a dream all around the house for all devices. 

except Sky Q - both of these access the network but are unstable and regularly crash. When this happens we have to reboot the main box and all mini boxes. 

ive tried connecting the sky boxes to the original network / router rather than the TP Link new network and it works but is still very unstable. 

Could anyone help? Real shame because the products are great for what we need from all perspectives but if sky doesn't work we won't be able to keep the products. 

thanks

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Deco with Sky Q-Solution
2021-02-19 02:18:14 - last edited 2023-11-03 00:54:50

@ollycrook6 

Update:

Please refer to this link to connect Sky Q main box/mini boxes properly with Deco:

Can Sky Q work with Deco?

Best regards.

Recommended Solution
Options
6 Reply
Re:Deco with Sky Q-Solution
2021-02-19 02:18:14 - last edited 2023-11-03 00:54:50

@ollycrook6 

Update:

Please refer to this link to connect Sky Q main box/mini boxes properly with Deco:

Can Sky Q work with Deco?

Best regards.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Deco with Sky Q
2021-02-19 22:31:15

@TP-Link 

hi - thanks for this. So I would buy an Ethernet cable and run from the main deco box which is also connected to our router? 

sorry but then what do I do to set up an SSID? And do I then connect this to my new deco network not the original EE WiFi network?

And what do I then do with the mini boxes?

thanks

Options
2021-04-07 20:27:29

@ollycrook6 Hi Olly, I have just setup my 2 x60 deco wifi devices and like u I have had issues with sky q crashing screen locks up and I have to power cycle the device. My old wifi works fine on sky Q and it's only when I configure the new deco wifi on sky q the device just locks up.  I have arranged for a sky engineer to visit at the end of the month  due to covid he has to stay outside so no idea what he can actually do.  I will update this when/if I get a solution 

Options
2021-04-08 02:45:15

@HorsemanS 

Hi, before the engineers come, maybe you could help me check the following information so that we could check if there is something useful;

Except for the Sky Q main box, did you have any mini box?

Would the sky Q box have the same issue when they are connected via Ethernet cable?

If only leaving the main Deco X60, would the issue still exist?

If possible, please turn off the Mesh technology of the SKY Q on the Deco APP to see whether it is helpful or not;

Thank you very much.

Options
2021-04-08 18:06:33 - last edited 2021-04-08 18:07:35

@TP-Link @HorsemanS @ollycrook6 

Hello All,

I have experienced similar issues with my X20s. In case it helps others, my experience has been:

- The Deco WiFi is stable, fast, and works well with all devices.

- The exception is Sky Q. Both main box and Mini box suffer catastrophic crashes after about 5 minutes of being connected to the Deco WiFi.

- This seems to be a known issue, with several threads on the subject in both these forums and the Sky Q forums.

- The best workaround for me was to switch the Deco WiFi to 'Access Point' mode. This stops the catastrophic crashes, at the cost of losing many of the value-add features of the Deco.

- Even then, Sky Q loses its connection to the WiFi periodically. At the moment, my Sky Q loses connection about once a week.

- The alternative workaround is to connect Sky Q to the Deco via Ethernet (as suggested above). For me, this introduces further compromise: it requires a Deco unit close to the Sky Q box(es), which makes their placement less optimal for the rest of the network (or requires further investment in additional units). 

For me, I chose to accept the flaky Sky connection as it was more important to have stable and fast WiFi for homeschooling and working from home. Under normal circumstances, I would have likely returned the Decos.

I'd be interested to hear how the visit from the Sky engineer goes. Best of luck.

Options
2021-04-15 17:00:42

@ollycrook6 

what I had to do to resolve my sky main box from

hanging when connecting to my x60 boxes was to change the operation from router mode to access point, it automatically set them to router mode even though I have a Tp link Ar2800 router connected, once I changed this I also did a software update on the sky box as this was suggested as a fix on another forum, once all this was done the sky box connected okay at first and I left it overnight, I came down the next day it it had lost the ssid so I connected it again and so far the Word is good, the sky mini box connected okay too.  It's a real shame that you lose so much functionality when u switch to Access point mode as you lose the Trend micro av etc.  But the wifi is great all around the house now with 2 x60 devices. I hope this helps 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 6050

Replies: 6

Related Articles