Slow Internet Speed with Deco Devices

Slow Internet Speed with Deco Devices

83 Reply
Re:[Troubleshooting] Slow Internet Speed with Deco Devices
2021-11-20 05:15:44

@TP-Link 

AT&T Gigabit internet fiber modem

|

AT&T Gateway (mandatory to work with the modem, minimal features enabled)

|                                      |

Main Deco X20             File Server (Source of faster speed test, note this is on the same subnet with the Main deco WAN, NOT on the Deco LAN)

|

TP-Link TL-SG108 8 Port Gigabit Switch  -------------------------

|                                                                         |                     |

TP-Link TL-SG1008D Gigabit Switch               Deco X20   Deco X20

|

PC (Source of slower speed)

Previous speeds were 700-800 up and down with the Deco M5 at the PC in this network, the X20 is about half that speed.

Data transfer to/from the file server is also much slower than with the previous Deco M5. I could move files at typically 80-90 MB/s, now it caps at 50 MB/s.

It seems highly ironic that a device with an advertised Wifi speed over 1Gb cannot route traffic at even half that speed.

Options
2021-11-20 09:58:01

@TP-Link 

Hi,

I'm having the same issue as well. My Main Deco M5 is on Ground Floor and two satellites Deco M5 on the 1st Floor (see topoography). The main deco M5 can get speed around 450Mbps but the satellite ones are hovering around 110Mbps on both wifi and ethernet. I have updated the M5s to the latest firmware, disabled UPNP and set the max download and upload speed but the speed for satellite M5s is still slow. Any suggestions on how to resolve this?  Thanks  

Options
2021-11-23 06:46:59

@CSEngineer 

Thank you very much for getting back to me.

I would like to forward your case to the senior engineers for further assistance.

Please have a check of your email box to confirm you have got an email from us.

Thank you again.

Options
2021-11-23 07:00:48

@AzaNZ 

Hi, Did you just purchase Deco M5?

For your case, is there any chance that you could connect satellites 1 and 2 via Ethernet cable to the main Deco M5 via a network switch?

Based on your floor map, the Deco M5 3-pack might not be the proper device for you, you could have a look at Deco P9 if the whole house is under the same electric circuit, or Deco M9 plus with 3 bands for wireless backhaul.

Options
2021-11-23 09:21:27

@TP-Link Hi, yes. Your engineer did emailed me with a suggestion that I try using cat6 cable instead of cat5e. I'm not sure whether your engineer look my screenshots. Cat5e cable is capable up to 1000Mbps, so, it should handle 450Mbps very well. However, the issue is the throughput from the satellite Deco M5 is around 150 Mbps when the main deco speed is about 450Mbps.  So, your engineer's suggestion of using a cat6 cable instead of cat5e is not relevant. Next suggestion please. Thanks.

Options
2021-11-23 09:26:29 - last edited 2021-11-23 09:28:26

@TP-Link Hi, Are you suggesting that I connect a 30m ethernet cable from the main deco M5 to the satellite deco on the first floor via a switch? What's the point buying a Mesh M5 then? I might as well get a switch, which is about 10x cheaper? My whole house is only about 1,200 square feet, which well within the claim range of 5,500 square feet of 3 pack Deco M5. Please propose another solution. Thanks.

Options
2021-11-23 09:58:14

@AzaNZ 

Hi, Thank you for getting back to me.

As for 5500 square feet, I suppose it might be the maximum Wi-Fi coverage on the same floor in open space.

While It varies in different situations.

Have you checked the signal source strengthen on each satellite unit, like how many bars of the wireless backhaul?

If you do not mind, could you please help me run a simple test:

Unplug both satellite units for a while, stand in bedroom 3, then bedroom 1, and test the wireless speed directly from the main Deco M5.

And I tend to think the slow speed of satellite units is caused by the distance and barriers between the main Deco and satellite units.

So personally speaking, Deco P9 or Deco M9 would be more suitable.

Thank you very much for your time and patience.

Options
2021-11-29 14:41:17 - last edited 2021-11-29 14:43:24

@TP-Link I think that Tp-Link have big, big problem with wifi modules. That's some of my results from satteliete Deco M4. I can't understand how is possible internet speed through wifi to be slowest, while internet speed through rj45 insered in same Deco is double or triple faster (from bottom to the top) There is something rotten in Tp-Link. Shame! Shame! Shame! 

Options
2021-12-02 23:39:49

@TP-Link 

I have a 500mbit connection and i use a FritzBox 6591 Modem+Router. If i connect my PC via cable i get 530mbits. If im close to the router with my phone or my macbook i get 500mbit +/- via 5ghz Wifi. My main node only gives which is connected to my FritzBox via cable gives me 250bit if im close to it with my device and also on the deco app. The max rate between my pc and the deco is set at 850mbit. So the main node itself gives me only half the speed. My 2nd deco (slave) is located in my office and is 3m away from the main node. If i connect my PC to the original 5rghz wifi of my router which has 3/4 bars connectivity i reach around 430mbits. With my slave deco i get only 160-200 and it has 4/4 connection. Shouldnt this one provide a better connection than the wifi of the router? My 3rd deco is in my living room (arround 10m from the main node and accross the wall of my 2nd deco). Here i get 160-200 mbit aswell.

What i tried:

- Change main deco with slaves

- use different cable

- set DNS to 8.8.8.8

Options
2021-12-03 08:06:41

@sRnX 

Hi, welcome to the community.

As for your case, could you please help me check some details:

1. is the Deco M4 working under access point mode, not wireless router?

2. As for the network topology, is it like this:

3. Could you please send me the following screenshots about the speedtest via main Deco M4:

--pictures about the Ethernet speed test on the laptop when it is connected to main M4.

--pictures about the 5ghz speed test on the mobile devices when it is on main M4.

4. Apart from the main M4, is there any other device connected to FritzBox?

Options
Related Articles