Slow Internet Speed with Deco Devices

2021-02-23 09:18:58 - last edited 2022-07-12 02:44:02
Model: Deco  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

When you find the internet speed from Deco is below expected, please refer to steps below to locate the problem and troubleshoot according to the corresponding suggestions.

Notifications before we run the speed test:

1. Please make sure Deco, Ethernet cables and the testing PC are all 1Gbps (Gigabit) supported, not to mention the broadband connection. For example, Deco E3/E4/W2400 are fast Ethernet ports(10/100m/s).

2. Most of the time, the speed from satellite Deco nodes are less than main Deco, especially when they are not using Ethernet backhaul.

3. If you are using a wireless device to test speed, make sure the wireless device is 5Ghz supported and capable of reaching high speed. Some old laptop's Wireless Network Adapter is not able to reach high speed.(Please Turn off the low power mode if you are testing speed over iPhone)

Methods and Steps to verify speed:       

1. Use Ookla Speedtest App or https://www.speedtest.net  to measure Internet speed. The speedtest on the Deco APP is only for reference.

2. Verify maximum broadband speed by connecting a Gigabyte PC directly into the ISP Modem first;

3. Verify wired speed into the Main Deco after verifying the ISP Modem's maximum speed;

4. Disconnecting every wireless device if you are trying to measure the maximum wireless speed of Deco units;

5. Always reconnect Wi-Fi on your cellphones/laptops every time you perform a speedtest.

Possible Solutions:

1. Remove QoS settings: Deco APP>>>HomeCare or HomeShield>>>Turn off QoS Completely or remove all priority devices and set the max bandwidth at 1000Mbps or higher.

2. Turn off the UPNP  and SIP ALG in the Deco app: Deco APP>More>Advanced>UPNP/SIP ALG;

3. Try a few other speedtest servers because some specific servers cannot reach full speed at wireless.

Related Articles: Troubleshooting: Slow Internet Speed with Deco Devices

Options
83 Reply
Re:[Troubleshooting] Slow Internet Speed with Deco Devices
2021-04-29 16:52:30

@TP-Link 

Hi there,
I received yesterday my new Deco M5 (3 pieces) and I installed in my house (2 floors and about 4,000 ft2).
I don't have any wifi dark spaces in the house, but I have a serious speed problem. The main Deco speed test show as the same Mbps that I have by contract with my internet provider (200 Mbps download/60 Mbps upload), but the other two Decos shows a very poor speed (6-10 Mbps / 4 Mbps).
Can you give me a recommendation or an specific set up to solve the problem?
Best regards,
Gonzalo

Options
2021-05-05 06:53:06

@Gonzalo1976 

Hi, could you please provide a picture of the network topology of your Deco system?

At the same time, please check the following details:

1. the signal source and signal source strengthen of the two satellite Deco units;

2.if possible, please test the Ethernet speed of the two satellite Deco units as well;

Thank you.

Options
2021-05-05 09:15:25

@TP-Link 

Well I have been through the process suggested in your post.

But there is absolutely no improvement at all.

Please refer to my original post copied below for my issue.

Deco P9 / Firmware update 1.1.3 Build 20201228 Rel.55057

17 hours ago

Model: Deco P9

Hardware Version:

Firmware Version: 1.1.3 Build 20201228 Rel.55057

Since updating firmware version 1.1.3 Build 20201228 Rel.55057, my internal internet connection via the Deco 9 has become slow and unstable.

Prior to the update everything has been fine for over 12 months.

I now have issues with connectivity dropping every few minutes.

I have a great broadband speed of 1g and have checked my broadband link and all is as normal.

Its alarming that prior to this update everything worked perfect.

As I work from home this is very critical to either turn back to the old firmware of something is fixed to change this issue.

I have became very disappointed with this product.

Options
2021-05-07 02:53:27

@Meyshia5000 

Hi, I have replied to the first post, and please feel free to let me know whether the provided firmware made any changes;

Thank you.

Options
2021-05-07 08:54:23

@TP-Link 

Greetings... Are Internet speeds better if the Deco V60's are used as a Router or as an Access point ??

Options
2021-05-13 05:02:24

@ TP-Link olá, boa noite!

Realizei todo o procedimento informado, infelizmente contínuo com problema de velocidade.

Segue o meu resultado do speed test:Veja meu resultado do Speedtest! O quanto sua internet é rápida? https://www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/7334052507

Minha rede está assim:

Modem wi-fi vivo fibra com link de 400mega >

Deco M5 principal (semente) >

Notebook Dell i5 Latitude 3410

Conectando meu celular ( Google Pixel 2XL) ou meu notebook (latitude 3410) pelo wi-fi 2.4ghz ou cabo de rede no modem da vivo, eu recebo pelo menos 300 mega de velocidade pelo speed test. Quando me conecto ao Deco M5 via cabo ou wi-fi 2.4ghz consigo no máximo 120mega no speed test.

Esse é o segundo aparelho Deco M5 que eu compro e tenho o mesmo problema. Conseguem me ajudar?

Options
2021-05-28 11:33:14 - last edited 2021-05-28 12:58:19

@TP-Link 

Hello I have the same issue...

2 TP-LINK X60 (up to date)

On old devices that connects to 2.4GHz, the connection is unusable.

* Configuration one : pc with a windows seven + Netgear USB N150

* Configruation two : Hp pavillon dm4 with Windows 2

I made the tests:

1. Remove QoS settings: Deco APP>QoS>(Set Application priority to Standard, Remove all high priority devices, set the Bandwidth to 1000Mbps upload and 1000Mbps download);

-> done, no change

2. Turn off the UPNP feature in the Deco app: Deco APP>More>Advanced>UPNP;

-> done, no change + on the speedtest.net web site the upload test is not working anymore

Remark: when the 2 pcs are connected to the wifi on the box of my provider (a freebox) everything works fine.

Do you have other idea that can help?

Thank you very much

Stéphane

Options
2021-06-01 02:53:10

@Stephane74 

Hi, Thanks for the feedback.

For the Configuration one : pc with a windows seven + Netgear USB N150, I guess it is 2.4ghz only;

As for the Hp pavillon dm4, did it also connect to the 2.4ghz, not 5ghz?

--Since 5ghz would be much faster than the 2.4ghz, it is suggested that you run a speed test over 5ghz;

And Could you please also help me check the link speed on these two devices, such as https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/faq/2265/

May I know the speed test on the Deco APP?

Could you please also connect the computer via Ethernet cable to the main Deco to test the speed as well?

Thank you very much and wait for your reply.

Options
2021-06-01 10:21:05

@TP-Link 

Hello

I performed all the tests in the following order and on the same test server.
I hope it will help to solve issues:

* Speed test on the deco app from an android phone
  - Link speed: 433 MBps

1) First test: Download : 5,8 Mbps  /  Upload : 0,7 Mbps !!!
  2) Reboot of the main X60
  3) Second test: Download : 12 Mbps  /  Upload : 1,3 Mbps

(which is around my normal speed that I measure on a pc linked to the box by an Ethernet cable)

---------------------

* Netgear WNA1000M N150 connected to the X60:
   - Link speed: 150,0 MBits/s
   - Download : 5,8 Mbps  /  Upload : 0,7 Mbps

* Netgear WNA1000M N150 connected to the wifi on the box of my provider:
   - Link speed: 72,0 MBits/s
   - Download : 12,73 Mbps  /  Upload : 1,27 Mbps

---------------------

* HP Pavillon dm4 (broadcom 802.11n) connected to the X60:
  - Link speed: 5.5 MBits/s <-- ??? I triple checked this value with 3 connect/disconnect
  - Download : 0,98 Mbps  /  Upload : 0,62 Mbps

* HP Pavillon dm4 (broadcom 802.11n) connected the wifi on the box of my provider:
  - Link speed: 72 MBits/s
  - Download : 12,7 Mbps  /  Upload : 1,01 Mbps

* HP Pavillon dm4 connected with an ethernet cable on the X60:
  - Download : 11,32 Mbps  /  Upload : 0,62 Mbps

* HP Pavillon dm4 connected with an ethernet cable on the box of my provider:
  - Download : 12,85 Mbps  /  Upload : 0,98 Mbps

---------------------

2 hours later:

* Netgear WNA1000M N150 connected to the X60:
   - Link speed: 150,0 MBits/s
   - Download : 0,07 Mbps  /  Upload : 0,52 Mbps

- Disconnect/Reconnect Netgear usb dongle => same result
   - Reboot of the main X60
   - Download : 11,29 Mbps  /  Upload : 1,1 Mbps

So it seems that there are 2 issues:

- 1 - Sometimes the x60 is in an invalid state and become very slow on every connected device (solved by the reboot of the x60)

- 2 - HP Pavillon connects with a very low link speed on the X60 but works perfectly on the box of my internet provider

Thanks for your help!

Stéphane

Options
2021-06-02 03:31:31

@Stephane74 

Hi, Thanks for the update.

So, if I am right, the total bandwidth which provided by ISP are almost  12-13m/s download; 1-3 m/s upload?

Since you bought Deco X60 which is Wi-Fi 6 capable, have you ever considered improving the internet bandwidth?

Comparing with 5ghz and Ethernet connection, 2.4ghz is easily affected by the Wi-Fi interference around;

For these old mobile clients, have you tried to check whether there is any new driver available?

Then, please also enable the guest Wi-Fi for 2.4ghz only to see whether the speed could be improved a little bit;

Options

Information

Helpful: 3

Views: 40857

Replies: 83

Related Articles