VR600 only get 15MB while It should be up to 100MB

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-03-02 12:05:12 - last edited 2021-03-04 18:25:46
Model: Archer VR600  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version:

Hi there!

I recently upgraded my browsing program (on VDSL2 infrastructure) to speed of up to 100MB but I continues to get no more than 15MB.
In my ISP's customer service I have told that my router does not support browsing speeds higher than 15 MB on this infrastructure.
When I check the download and upload speed that the router gets there are fine (84MB upload and 5MB download), but in the speed test (on a single wired computer connected to the network) I get no more than 15MB (I checked on some other computers, with another cable, and even with a different VR600 router device and I continues to get the same result)/

1. Could the ISP's customer service answer be true? Could there be another explanation for this problem?
2. Is it related to the fact that the router works in profile 17a and not in more advanced profiles? Can it work with other profiles like 30a or 35b?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Options
2 Accepted Solutions
Re:VR600 only get 15MB while It should be up to 100MB-Solution
2021-03-04 16:53:57 - last edited 2021-03-04 18:25:46

@Kobe_Gutman 

Hey

Hopefully I can explain this a bit for you.  

The 17 / 30 / 35 indicates the bandwidth profile your device is applying when you are connected.   

17a is 17mhz bandwith and is good for ~100mbps

30a is 30mhz bandwith and is good for ~250mbps

35b is 35mhz bandwith and is good for ~350mbps

The problem is as you increase the bandwidth, the signal bleeds more and you get more interference. 

17a is the most common used, its for VDSL speeds based around 80/100mbps.  If your ISP supports 200mbps via SuperVDSL this is an ENTIRELY different technology that requires 35b profile running at 35mhz bandwith, this will allow up to 350mbps (approx).   You are able to connect as 35b will support upto 35mhz via backwards compatabilty, you have 17 so its grand.   If you theoretically had a device that tried to connect at 40mhz, it would fail..   hope that makes sense :)

The chipset in your VR600 and supports a 17a profile, this means its designed for VDSL speeds and not SuperVDSL.  To get 35mhz you would indeed need to upgrade to the VR600 v3 which has the 35b chipset.

However, in the picture you provided your connection is 5 up and 84 down (fairly typical VDSL Speeds), this is what your line is connected at so you should be getting faster than you are

There could be a number of things causing this

1. connection to the router is slow (10mbps cable or 2.4ghz WiFi).   How are you connected to the router?

2. the website / speed test site is misreading (this is VVV common).  Try a few more, something like speedtest.net  - could also be your ISP is throttling this site

3. your ISP is filtering you.   Your line speed is 85 down, however they could have a cap in place to restrict that.  I know "budget" cheaper ISPs here in the UK do throttle users that way to increase their overall capacity.

I have the same VR600 v2 as you (UK) and connect at ~72 down, when testing I get the full speeds..  the router is more than capable of your 85 down connection.  We just need to work out why its not getting it.

Any details on how you are connected, what device and what cable etc would help.  Also test on a different site, somehting like    www.speedtest.net and  google speedtest

Recommended Solution
Options
2021-03-04 18:11:14 - last edited 2021-03-04 18:26:52

@Philbert 

Thanks so much for all the help! I learned a lot during the process. After a few weeks of exhausting contact with my ISP's customer service, I was offered today to try to change my account's password. I did not understand why this should help, but they said that because I upgraded the speed a month ago from 15MB to 100MB, a bug could have been created and it would be worth giving this solution a try.
We did that and the problem was solved. Sorry for all the fuss I caused, but I must say that the response I received from you was the most professional and understandable.

Thanks to your explanations I felt confident enough to tell the customer service that the router is fine (it turns out that when enough professional terms are used, they do not underestimate the intelligence of the customer ...). So anyway, thank you so much from the bottom of my heart!

Recommended Solution
Options
7 Reply
Re:VR600 only get 15MB while It should be up to 100MB
2021-03-03 14:13:57

@Kobe_Gutman 

Hey

1. Could the ISP's customer service answer be true? Could there be another explanation for this problem?

The VR600 will support VDSL speeds above 15, I have it on a 72 down 20 up connection without issue.     I dont believe the router is an issue

2. Is it related to the fact that the router works in profile 17a and not in more advanced profiles? Can it work with other profiles like 30a or 35b?

The profile 17a will support upto 100mbps fine, its the most common used profile.   30/35 fell out of favor as they caused a lot of bleed and resulted in problems, all ISPs i know have dropped 30/35 for that reason

Would you be able to add a screenshot of the status page on your router showing the conenction details, and any images you have of the speed test to allow futher diagnosis. 

Any info / screen shots would help!

Options
2021-03-04 08:50:14

@Philbert

Thank you for your answer. I hope this will help you to help me.

I think that my ISP is using the 35 profile, due to the fact they are offering 200MB download speed. But I was told by their customer service not to take the 200MB because my router does not support this speed. I think this is because the 200MB work's on 35b profile.

Options
2021-03-04 11:58:46 - last edited 2021-03-04 12:07:28

@Kobe_Gutman 

Hey

The VR600 can support 35b if required for up to 350mbps connections (according to spec sheet anyway) 

UPDATE :  I was an idiot and read the v3 specs, v2 is only 17a.  That is likely your issue right there if your ISP offers SuperVDSL.     SuperVDSL is a quite new technology for most ISPs, only been available a few years now and after your router was manufactured.   Sadly I think you would need to update the Vr600 v3 to enable SuperVDSL speeds on a 35b profile.

But two things jump at me immediately.  

Firstly your line speed is 85mbps down, which is a unusual number.. generally this is less than 80 for VDSL or 120 / 200 for Super VDSL.    to get a line speed of 85 is strange, what package are you on currently (what did your isp say you would get)?

Secondly, your firmware is 4 years old and there is an update for this (see image below).  You are running the firmware in RED, recommend you update to YELLOW.  It could be your firmware version doesn't support 35b and the update may help.. I would try that first! 

Options
2021-03-04 12:40:18 - last edited 2021-03-04 12:47:05

@Philbert 

Thank you for the quik answer.

I upgraded the firmware and there is still no change. I surf a program that gives me up to 100MB and I should get at least 50MB according to the infrastructure provider. My neighbor usually gets at least 60-70MB on the same infrastructure.

17a won't work on 35b? So how can I even manage to connect? And if I can connect, why only at low speed?

Options
2021-03-04 16:53:57 - last edited 2021-03-04 18:25:46

@Kobe_Gutman 

Hey

Hopefully I can explain this a bit for you.  

The 17 / 30 / 35 indicates the bandwidth profile your device is applying when you are connected.   

17a is 17mhz bandwith and is good for ~100mbps

30a is 30mhz bandwith and is good for ~250mbps

35b is 35mhz bandwith and is good for ~350mbps

The problem is as you increase the bandwidth, the signal bleeds more and you get more interference. 

17a is the most common used, its for VDSL speeds based around 80/100mbps.  If your ISP supports 200mbps via SuperVDSL this is an ENTIRELY different technology that requires 35b profile running at 35mhz bandwith, this will allow up to 350mbps (approx).   You are able to connect as 35b will support upto 35mhz via backwards compatabilty, you have 17 so its grand.   If you theoretically had a device that tried to connect at 40mhz, it would fail..   hope that makes sense :)

The chipset in your VR600 and supports a 17a profile, this means its designed for VDSL speeds and not SuperVDSL.  To get 35mhz you would indeed need to upgrade to the VR600 v3 which has the 35b chipset.

However, in the picture you provided your connection is 5 up and 84 down (fairly typical VDSL Speeds), this is what your line is connected at so you should be getting faster than you are

There could be a number of things causing this

1. connection to the router is slow (10mbps cable or 2.4ghz WiFi).   How are you connected to the router?

2. the website / speed test site is misreading (this is VVV common).  Try a few more, something like speedtest.net  - could also be your ISP is throttling this site

3. your ISP is filtering you.   Your line speed is 85 down, however they could have a cap in place to restrict that.  I know "budget" cheaper ISPs here in the UK do throttle users that way to increase their overall capacity.

I have the same VR600 v2 as you (UK) and connect at ~72 down, when testing I get the full speeds..  the router is more than capable of your 85 down connection.  We just need to work out why its not getting it.

Any details on how you are connected, what device and what cable etc would help.  Also test on a different site, somehting like    www.speedtest.net and  google speedtest

Recommended Solution
Options
2021-03-04 18:11:14 - last edited 2021-03-04 18:26:52

@Philbert 

Thanks so much for all the help! I learned a lot during the process. After a few weeks of exhausting contact with my ISP's customer service, I was offered today to try to change my account's password. I did not understand why this should help, but they said that because I upgraded the speed a month ago from 15MB to 100MB, a bug could have been created and it would be worth giving this solution a try.
We did that and the problem was solved. Sorry for all the fuss I caused, but I must say that the response I received from you was the most professional and understandable.

Thanks to your explanations I felt confident enough to tell the customer service that the router is fine (it turns out that when enough professional terms are used, they do not underestimate the intelligence of the customer ...). So anyway, thank you so much from the bottom of my heart!

Recommended Solution
Options
2021-03-04 20:45:19

@Kobe_Gutman 

Ah I think I know what that is..   When you sign up for an ISP they create a profile for your account, this is basically the speed you are paying for.  It was likely that when you where on the 15mbps service, your line was capable of the 85mpbs you have now.. however they "capped" your connection to 15 as that all you had paid for.

This profile is really just a setting on their hardware, therefore when you upgraded they just changed the setting from 15 to 100.    However it does occasionally not apply correctly, the password reset and reconnection may force that to fix itself.    Had it before myself when I worked on ADSL installs.

Either way really glad you got sorted and now getting the faster connection, again really appreciate the feedback you gave!  

Phil

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 822

Replies: 7