is my router hacked?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

is my router hacked?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
is my router hacked?
is my router hacked?
2021-03-02 19:48:13 - last edited 2021-03-08 12:24:57

Hello,  i'm new here. I'm suspecting someone hacked the modem/router,  because i saw  5 connected devices in my router,  but there are only 4 devices in my house,  at first i thought it could be just a glitch,  maybe one is duplicated, But i looked at the mac adresses and they're different. now its back to 4. should i worry or not? and what i can do to prevent this from happening ever again. 

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:is my router hacked? -Solution
2021-03-07 17:12:12 - last edited 2021-03-08 12:24:57

@mino538 

Hello mino538,

Philbert makes some really good points!  If the issue is still eating at you, I suggest you factory reset the device. Ensure you select WPA2-PSK as the security version. Make the admin and WiFi passwords at least 20 characters long. Use a password manager to manage your passwords. Don't re-use passwords anywhere. Computer power nowadays means that an eight character password can be cracked in three hours. I hope this helps you put the thought of being hacked behind you!  Mike

Recommended Solution
Options
7 Reply
Re:is my router hacked?
2021-03-05 09:26:44

@mino538 

Do you have any Apple Devices running IOS14 or higher? 

If so they have a setting by default that it randomly changes the MAC address of the device when connected to WiFi networks, means this will temporarily appear as a 2nd / 3rd / 4th device on the network with different MAC addresses.   We disable this feature as it causes all sorts of issues for wireless controllers

Its also available on Android 10+ but believe its OFF by default, certainly not as prevalent an issue for android. 

More info here

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT211227

Options
2021-03-05 13:06:42

@Philbert i don't,  we have only Android and 2 laptops,  win10,  and win8

Options
2021-03-05 19:49:01

@mino538

What version of Android are the devices?  If you have the MAC address written down or recorded we could trace the vendor and might tell you more

I would say its unlikely anything to worry about..

Options
Re:is my router hacked? -Solution
2021-03-07 17:12:12 - last edited 2021-03-08 12:24:57

@mino538 

Hello mino538,

Philbert makes some really good points!  If the issue is still eating at you, I suggest you factory reset the device. Ensure you select WPA2-PSK as the security version. Make the admin and WiFi passwords at least 20 characters long. Use a password manager to manage your passwords. Don't re-use passwords anywhere. Computer power nowadays means that an eight character password can be cracked in three hours. I hope this helps you put the thought of being hacked behind you!  Mike

Recommended Solution
Options
2021-03-07 21:04:08 - last edited 2021-03-07 21:09:47

@Philbert unfortunately i didn't write it,  but it didn't occur again,  so i just forgot about it,  however i still had some doubts. 

thanks for the help anyway

Edit: Android version is 7

Options
2021-03-07 21:08:47

@MikeFdes thanks for the tips,  but i have a question  what about the router interface password?  it usually has a very weak password,  like admin or something like that i changed it something a little bit harder but with only 5 characters. is it good?

Options
2021-03-07 21:30:09

@mino538 That password is weak by modern computing standards. That number of characters takes about three seconds to crack. I would change both the router interface password and the WiFi password to something between fifteen and twenty characters long.

https://bitwarden.com/password-generator/

That link above is to a password generator. Use that to set a stronger password. Start using a password generator to store these passwords. That'll also ensure you don't reuse any passwords.

Mike

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 674

Replies: 7

Related Articles