RE650 stability issues with extender on same channel

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-03-13 20:00:00
Model: RE650  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.9

Hello, 

I am having issues with very poor wifi stability when using the RE650 as an extender in my small apartment. Both the original networks and the extended networks have high jitter, dropped packets and lost connections even though the signal strength is very good.

When I disable the RE650 completely the original network regains its stability. I get higher stability in the dead zone of my apartment using the original network alone than I'm ever getting with the extender.

I can only assume that this happens because the extender insists on using the same channel as the original network, causing a lot of interference.

The admin panel reports no problems. The location assistant reports that the extender is in a good location, or even sometimes that I could move the extender further away. The extended network performs well on single speed tests (around 150-200 Mb/s throughput once it gets going), but any real world usage results in slow response times, buffering, lag, dropped connections and so on.

Please advise on how to change the channel on the extended network or otherwise resolve this issue, as the RE650 is currently a very expensive paperweight to me.

I have upgraded to the latest firmware and tried  most settings I could think of to no avail.

Options
6 Reply
Re:RE650 stability issues with extender on same channel
2021-03-17 09:22:04

I probably have the same problem, but in bigger house.

On ground floor I have archer c6 and RE650 on first floor. Internet works ok on second floor, but in the room on first floor where RE650 is, connection is very unstable. 

Options
2021-03-19 06:33:56

@Tormod Hello,

Thank you for your detailed information.

RE is connected to router's Wi-Fi and repeat its signal, so RE's Wi-Fi channel is always the same as main Router. If you put RE in the halfway between router and WI-Fi dead spot, there should be a problem. 

Please help check the Wi-Fi LEDs on RE650 when Interest becomes unstable, 

If Wi-Fi LEDs are still On RE when the issue happens, please try the Beta firmware I sent you via private message, thank you.
If Wi-Fi LEDs goes Off on range extender when issue occur, please set up a different SSID for range extender, and put RE very close to router and test its stability.

Options
2021-03-20 18:24:22

@Solla-topee Thank you very much for your suggestions. I don't know about the leds as I had them off mostly. However the system log showed no errors, that's for sure. 

I probably should have updated sooner, but yesterday I replaced the 650 with a 505x in the exact same spot with the same configuration and everything now works perfectly. High speeds and no instability so far. I will therefore not be trying the beta firmware upgrade and instead be returning the 650 to the store as a faulty device.

Options
2021-09-06 21:24:50

@Solla-topee i suffer from the same problem... and email support abandoned me.... send me this beta version so i can test it? to see if my problem ends ..... 

Options
2021-09-07 01:07:13 - last edited 2021-09-07 01:18:21

@Andrsouzaaa  Hello, 

It is recommended to try High Speed Mode on RE650 V1 and also try other troubleshooting steps in the thread here: 

[Troubleshooting] Range Extender Keeps Losing Connection

https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/272398

Connect the extender to the main router through (5Ghz) and the extender to your devices through (2.4GHz) or vice versa :

Please check my private message as well .

Options
2021-09-07 13:55:37 - last edited 2021-09-07 14:04:26

@ Solla-topee  O primeiro momento do teste melhorou a estabilidade da rede, mas ainda há problemas com a velocidade de conexão, sinal total mas sem qualidade de sinal e Mbps baixos, não como antes, mas ainda acontece ... Que eu vi só esse problema, é como se o beamforming desse alcance deixando o sinal cheio, mas em termos de largura de banda, velocidade, não vem junto com a cobertura beamforming do produto

Options

Information

Helpful: 2

Views: 1002

Replies: 6

Related Articles