What is Update Interval in DDNS in Archer A7

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-03-18 19:27:47
Model: Archer A7  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi 

I am interested in buying TPLink Archer A7 router. My ISP provides me public IP (it's dynamic on pppoe connection) and I have an account with NO-IP.com.

In DDNS settings for this router there's a setting called update interval. from 1 to few hours to  never are choices in drop down options

I am not too sure how update interval works.

I want my router to update DNS irrespective of this interval whenever public ip change due to reboots or lease expiry.

I hope that's the way it works.

thanks in advance.

Ramki

Options
4 Reply
Re:What is Update Interval in DDNS in Archer A7
2021-03-19 06:58:30

@ramki_87 

This should be updated automatically if the WAN IP address on the A7 is a public one, you only need to modify the update interval manually to 1 hour or 6 hours when the WAN IP is private.

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Connect TP-Link Archer BE550 to Germany's DS-Lite (Dual Stack Lite) Internet via WAN Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2021-03-19 12:09:56
Thanks. If WAN IP is private then to my best understanding DDNS won't work. I mean DDNS will push that private IP in DNS which goes nowhere as it's not routable. So I am not too sure what's the benefit of that setting.
Options
2021-03-19 14:28:00 - last edited 2021-03-19 14:29:02

@ramki_87 

If a router's WAN IP address is private, then the DDNS service running on it will usually attempt to find the external public IP address by contacting a server on the internet, a commonly used one being "http://checkip.dyndns.org".

Now, there could be two reasons why the WAN IP address of the router is a private one.

1) The Internet Service Provider is assigning private IP addresses to the customer's Internet connection, to limit the amount of public IPv4 addresses they need to buy from the authorities.
In this case it would be useless for the customer to activate the DDNS service on the home router.

2) The router (or other network device like IP camera, NAS server, computer, etc.) that is running the DDNS service is not directly connected to the Internet connection, but instead is connected as a client device to, for example, an ISP-supplied modem router that obtains a public IP address.
If that ISP-supplied modem router doesn't feature its own DDNS service, then you could still use the DDNS service of a network device that is connected to the ISP-supplied router.
To make the whole thing useful you would of course also need to configure port forwarding on the ISP-supplied modem router.

Options
2021-03-19 21:46:10

@ramki_87 

When using no-ip.com account and WAN IP address is private then disable WAN IP Binding:

That should push your public IP address in the no-ip.com database.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1716

Replies: 4

Related Articles