Deco M5 - No Guest network bandwidth settings?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-03-28 13:30:36 - last edited 2021-03-28 14:25:01
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.5.2

The Deco M5 has QOS , but what is the use if you cannot limit the bandwidth on the guest network?

Limiting the bandwidth on other TP-link routers can be done but not on the mesh network systems.

Unifi and Synology has this feature. I was under the impression that the Deco M5 is a premium product compared to the E4 

and have this feature since it has QOS. 

Options
10 Reply
Re:Deco M5 - No Guest network bandwidth settings?
2021-05-19 11:59:20

@staxza 

Thanks for your time and patience.

We have reported this feedback to the senior engineers already and would keep attention to the similar feedback.

Thank you.

Options
2022-01-17 20:59:15

@TP-Link I would like to second this request. It is a crucial functionality to be able to control/limit the bandwidth a guest network could consume. Hopefully this will make it to the top of the development queue. Thanks.

Options
2022-04-14 10:33:37

@TP-Link 

As your response says you're "waiting for similar requests" please count this as one. 
A guest network should be:

Isolated from the main network to stop guests interacting with clients on the main network.

Authenticated via a different method or passphrase to allow safe access.

Separately limited / bandwidth restricted to stop guests denying services to clients on the primary network via "bandwidth hogging".

I think that's what everyone reading the Deco docs will assume they're getting and it's a disappointment that we're not. 

Options
2022-09-25 20:13:50

@TP-Link It has been 3 years still no update on this. What's the point of Guest network if one cannot limit the bandwidth of that network to a lower value? What's the difference between Guest network and normal network?

Options
2022-09-26 08:15:13

@GreenDevil 

Hi, if you are on Deco M5, the latest firmware 1.6.0 and 1.6.1 have supported this feature already:

Deco M5 1.6.1

Options
2022-10-09 22:08:18

@David-TP 

Hi,

I'm currently using this feature after upgrading my Deco M5 firmware to version 1.6.1. The only issue I have is, the "Bandwidth Control" feature only works if the guest client connects to the main Deco M5 however  if the guest connects to the satellite unit, the "Bandwidth Control" doesn't apply.

Is there any settings I need to change to make this policy apply to all my satellite unit?

Thanks

Options
2022-10-10 03:43:26

@syhauw 

Hi, Thanks for the feedback.

I don't think it needs additional settings to make guest bandwidth control work on the satellite units and they should work the same as the main unit.

Did you see this issue on different devices when connecting to the guest network?

And were you able to reproduce the same issue most of the time since later I might need to forward your case to the senior engineers for further assistance?

Wait for your reply.

Best regards.

Options
2022-10-12 05:22:35

@David-TP 

Hi David,

Yes all my devices have the same problem and I can reproduce the issue.

Let me know if you need logs or screenshots from the system.

Regards,

Stewart

Options
2022-10-12 05:54:39

@syhauw 

Thanks for the update.

I would like to follow up on your case by email. Please check whether you have got an email from me.

And please also reply to the email with your TP-Link email ID for Deco APP.

Thank you very much.

Options
2023-01-18 18:31:10

Hi, I see same problem on Deco X50, no firmware update available. As it is higher model than M5 I assume that at least same features should be available. Version 1.0.8 are you planning to implement it soon or I should consider other mesh system? 

Options

Information

Helpful: 8

Views: 3691

Replies: 10

Related Articles