Feature Request - Guest Network separate DHCP/DNS settings

2021-03-31 09:02:53 - last edited 2024-03-17 20:04:56
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.5.2

Hi @TP_LINK,

I've had rock solid performance so far, and do like the Deco Labs options (although the Wifi Interference check results show 'low' then say underneath that there is significant interference), I do, however, have a feature request to put forward. 

My use case: 

- 3 x Deco M5s in Router mode

- Several wired and many wireless devices on the main network

- Several wireless devices on the guest network (my work devices)

- DHCP is handled by the Deco, and DNS is served by another server on the main network.

If I set the DNS to only have the DNS server, both the main and guest network use these settings. This causes the guest network to fail as it is segregated from the main network where the DNS server resides. 

Options
157 Reply
[Recommended Solution]Feature Request - Guest Network separate DHCP/DNS settings
2021-04-06 05:51:09 - last edited 2024-03-04 07:35:42

@richpriest 

Update:

Thank you very much for all your time and patience. This feature request has not been accepted yet.

We have ears open to all feedback but need to balance the possible gain and loss, and have careful thought before making a decision.

Currently, there are two workaround suggestions available:

1. Under the DHCP server, please set up Pi-hole DNS as the primary DNS, 8.8.8.8 as the secondary DNS.

2. Manually change the DNS server on the guest network devices themselves to use the Pi-hole DNS.

Thank you again for your understanding and support.

Best regards.

Options
Re:Feature Request - Guest Network separate DHCP/DNS settings
2021-04-06 20:02:56 - last edited 2022-03-15 08:06:05

TP-Link wrote

@richpriest 

Thank you very much for the feedback.

It has been noted down and reported to the senior engineers for further consideration;

Temporarily, it is suggested to keep the default DNS server under the DHCP settings, then manually change the DNS server on the guest network devices themselves to use the DNS server on the main network;

Thank you.

@TP-Link Hi, thanks for the workaround, but there are several issues I foresee:

The devices I segregate with the guest network are my work devices, and so I do not have the access to change the DNS outside of the DHCP suggestions.

I'd have to change the DNS on all of the main network devices from 192.168.1.1 (the default/deco) as there is only one DNS server listed in order to provide the control I'm after, as if I assigned both, the deco router would either take precedence or could be used as an alternative on the main network. 

I'm also wondering how the devices would have access to the DNS device on the main network as they should be segregated via separate vlans?

Options
2021-04-08 08:13:15 - last edited 2022-03-15 08:06:05

@richpriest 

Hi, for your last inquiry, ''how the guest devices would have access to the DNS device on the main network as they should be segregated via separate VLANs''

I am not sure if I got it correctly since the guest devices can not access the customized DNS server on the main network which is why you requested to set up separate DNS settings on the main network and guest network at the beginning, right?

Or actually, you want to know why the guest devices are still able to access the default DNS server 192.168.1.1?

If there is any misunderstanding, please feel free to let me know.

Thank you very much.

Options
2021-04-08 08:21:15 - last edited 2022-03-15 08:06:05

Hi, I believe it was a misunderstanding of this quote:

"Temporarily, it is suggested to keep the default DNS server under the DHCP settings, then manually change the DNS server on the guest network devices themselves to use the DNS server on the main network;"

I understood it to mean that the guest network could still use the DNS server on the main network, rather than the Deco.

It's not really a sufficient work-around as it allows devices on the main network to circumvent the DNS setup I have, and defeats the object of my setup. This is why I requested the separate settings. Even if it's a case of allowing the guests to use the Deco, and the main network to use the separate DNS server would be advantageous, although having a separate DHCP range would be good also.

Options
2021-05-08 00:21:21 - last edited 2022-03-15 08:06:05

@richpriest I have the exact same setup with the Deco M9+ and encountered the same issue. 

As a workaround, and while waiting for an update with DHCP settings for the Guest network, I'm planning to add another instance to serve a different local DNS for the Guest network devices. It would have to be connected via WiFi, since there's no way to wire a port to the guest network, but it should work with slightly more noticeable latency.

Anyway, thank you pointing this out, as it's a needed update.

Options
2021-05-15 21:37:59 - last edited 2022-03-15 08:06:05
Hi, Glad to know I'm not the only one who noticed. The issue I encountered with adding an instance to the guest network was that the clients are isolated, so even when there is a DNS server on the guest network they can't connect to it. There doesn't seem to be an option to disable isolation between clients which would solve the issue for me.
Options
2021-06-11 04:59:42 - last edited 2022-03-15 08:06:05

@richpriest I have also encountered this problem when setting up my PiHole DNS server. Apparently, the server I setup can't be seen by the devices on my guest network due to them belonging to a different VLAN ID. I tried configuring my PiHole server to connect to the guest VLAN but the issue stems from the fact that Guest VLAN can't talk to the Main VLAN.

I agree that physically modifying the DNS server details from each guest device is a workaround but that would be a hassle and defeat the purpose of remote administration.

So if there's an option to configure the guest VLAN to not use the same DNS server as the main VLAN like what the OP suggested, it would allow a seamless experience for the guest devices to connect to the internet without them actually handing over their device for further configuration.

Thanks!

Options
2021-06-13 21:12:52 - last edited 2022-03-15 08:06:05
I too am looking for a solution for this problem. If we could configure separate DHCP/DNS settings for the Guest network, this would be solved. I could use the Router, or Cloudflare or Google DNS for the Guest network, and allow my own DNS server to handle all requests on the main network. For now, I am unable to use the guest network for my IoT and friends without having them manually configure a DNS server when they connect.
Options
2021-07-27 11:01:25 - last edited 2022-03-15 08:06:05

@TP-Link Hi, 

Has there been any feedback from the senior engineers on this issue, please? 

Options
2021-07-28 02:14:05 - last edited 2022-03-15 08:06:05

@richpriest 

Hi,

Since the guest network is already separated from the host network by VLAN,  the request for separate DHCP settings under guest has not been approved.

The separate DNS request is under consideration, but we need more support from other users to finally add it to the roadmap.

Options

Information

Helpful: 102

Views: 18041

Replies: 157

Voters 90

+ 86 Voters