Switching from DSL modem to Wireless Router for Fibre Connection

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-04-01 22:44:56
Model: Archer VR900  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: Firmware Version:0.5.0 0.9.1 v0069.0 Build 210322 Beta.32622n

So I'm probably missing something.

I've been using the vr900 with my talktalk connection for a couple of years

I got EE full fibre installed today. I had thought i could just connect the ethernet from the fibre connection to the VR900. That doesn't work.

Then I thought I could connect the VR900 to one of the ouput ports of the EE router and disable the WIfi on the EE router, but that doesn't work. 

I did a factory reset, but still nothing.

I changed the IP Range  on EE to 192.168.100.x to avoid a conflict and tried disabling DHCP but no luck

I'd really like to be able to keep using the VR900 and not have to try to connect every single smart device in the house to the new router.

Any hints?

Thanks

Options
6 Reply
Re:Switching from DSL modem to Wireless Router for Fibre Connection
2021-04-02 11:55:54

@Bridawg 

Hey

Just thinking out loud here but this should work!

On the back of your VR600 you have a WAN/LAN port.  You will need to use this to connect to the EE Router (any port on the EE) and disable the WiFi on the EE as you said

On the VR600 under operation mode you will need to change this to Wireless Router Mode as shown below.  This basically disables the VDSL modem and looks on the WAN/LAN port for an internet connection, which in your case is EE. 

If I was you, i would keep the 2x devices on different IP subnets..  namely   EE on 192.168.1.x range   and   VR600 on 192.168.0.x   range or vice versa, you get the idea!    I wouldn't mix the 2 routers on the same subnet

The EE router will then just serve the VR600 via 192.168.1.x    -  The VR600 will issue  192.168.0.x addresses to clients etc etc. 

Hopefully that makes sense?  Holler back if any queries!

Options
2021-04-02 12:52:43

@Philbert 

Thanks for the reply - I really appreciate it. It's reassuring to know I'm on the right track.

Just to confirm, it's a VR900(V3) I have.

I believe I've done what you suggested, I will double check it after work.

I was certainly using the WAN port (Port 4), and I had definitely switched it to Wireless Router Mode.

I have EE on 192.168.100.x and and the VR900 ion 192.168.1.x

I'll double check the DNS settings and the DHCP set-up and see if I get any further.

It would be great if I don't need the EE box at all, since it seems just to be a wireless router on its own but I don't think I'm that lucky. Plugging the ethernet from the fibre straight into my laptop didn't work so it obviously needs somethign in between.

Options
2021-04-02 13:27:12 - last edited 2021-04-02 13:31:22

@Bridawg 

Does your fibre have an ONT (small white usually Huawei box)?   This needs to go into a LAN/WAN port of a VR900 router so in theory you could bypass the EE router and go straight to it, if that is how you are installed.

Likely its PPPoE with a username, password so you might be able to get this from the EE router.   Just set the VR900 to PPPoE with the details (its probably on AUTO Dynamic at moment) and that may work.   Ive done that with my BT FTTP connection but not Talk Talk

Sorry.. ive a VR600.. old habits die hard!  They are fundamentally the same :)

Options
2021-04-02 19:16:03

@Philbert Thanks for getting back to me.  This is my wired setup

Wall:

EE Box:

VR900:

I like the idea of bypassing the EE box altogether but that might be a next phase. i can see the username but not the password in the EE setup.

I'll try and post some config screenshots later, it's fiddly:D

Options
2021-04-02 19:31:46

@Philbert I may have stumbled on it. after your hint about the PPOE stuff, which i will investigate for bypassing EE later, I tried "adding a network interface" which seems to be working!  I'll update tomorrow, and maybe others will be helped out.

Options
2021-04-02 21:14:21

@Bridawg 

Hey again

Yeah that looks like what you need to do mate :)

Dynamic IP will just pull an IP address from the EE router, this will work and how most set it up.  However if you want to get rid of the EE router (i would) then switch this to PPPoE and stick in the details, should work for you.. deffo worth a try!

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1195

Replies: 6