TX50E - No internet over 5Ghz but 2.4Ghz works

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-04-16 08:25:27 - last edited 2021-05-08 01:51:34
Model: Adapter  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: Driver Version 21.10.2.2

Hi All

Having one hell of a time trying to get my new TX50E to work with 5Ghz. I can connect to the 2.4Ghz network no problem and get internet with good speeds, but when I connect to the 5Ghz network I will have internet very briefly then nothing and then get a mixture of DNS & IP address issues.

Testing completed:

Uninstalled and reinstalled drivers

Rebooted router multiple times

Tested with my current AX50 and older Archer v1600 routers, same issue on both 5Ghz networks

Uninstalled every network device I can find and reinstalled drivers via clean boot

5GHz provides fast speeds on multiple other devices connected to AX50

DNS flush / release / renew on IPCONFIG 

Tried setting static IP on both PC then on router

Tried Network reset in Windows 10

Tried yelling, didn't do much but I felt slightly better

I suspect it's an IP address issue but no idea what else I can do other than a Windows refresh and I would rather not go through that hassle. Is there a way to uninstall and reinstall IPV4?

Help!

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:TX50E - No internet over 5Ghz but 2.4Ghz works-Solution
2021-05-08 01:51:04 - last edited 2021-05-08 01:51:34

@Kaptain-K OK after conducting more testing I have discovered the TV was likely not the culprit and was in fact the different channels / bandwidths of the router. I think what happened was when I moved the router, it must have switched channels or adjusted the bandwidth (I had both set to auto).

I've spent the last week playing with different channels and bandwidths in the router settings and have identified that the adapter does not like 160Mhz bandwidth AT ALL. If I force my router to a bandwidth of 160Mhz, the adapter will connect to the 5Ghz network but will show DNS errors OR will get DNS however speeds will be drastically slower.

An example, I currently have my AX50 router set to Channel 56(DFS) and channel width of 160Mhz, my chromebook (with a Wifi 5 adapter) just got 763 / 46 (I'm on a 1000 / 50 plan) and it's sat on top of my desktop pc, so only 30cm away from my TX50 adapter. When I run a speed test on my desktop through the TX50, I get 75 / 6.

However if I change the bandwidth to 80Mhz, on the same channel, my Chromebook gets 503 / 46 and my desktop gets 462 / 40!! 

So for whatever reason, the TX50 adapter does not like routers set to 160Mhz bandwidths, which is a shame seeing as that's one of the big selling points of of Wifi 6!!

If you are having speed issues with this adapter, I suggest setting the bandwidth to 80Mhz.

Recommended Solution
Options
4 Reply
Re:TX50E - No internet over 5Ghz but 2.4Ghz works
2021-04-16 11:45:06 - last edited 2021-05-08 01:51:21

@Kaptain-K OMFG! It was my TV!!

My router is located on the far side of my 65" TV, the signal needs to pass the entire length of it and get into another room to get to my PC, despite my PC showing full signal. When I moved the router slightly further forward away from the TV I suddenly get good speeds.

Seems that my PC was reading a strong signal, however that signal was so badly degraded by traveling the length of the TV and being subjected to interference that the packets were unreadable by the time it got to my PC.

Far out!

I hope someone else reads this and doesn't have to go through the hours of pain I just experienced.

Options
2021-04-26 06:27:25

@Kaptain-K Hello, 

So the TV was an obstacle and  blocked the 5Ghz Wi-Fi signalsurprise. Glad to hear that you found the reason and was able to resolve it~

Thanks for your sharing!

Options
2021-04-26 10:25:33

@Kaptain-K So interestingly I put the router back in the same position later on and was able to get ~120Mbps.

It must have just had issues getting and IP address when positioned there for some reason.

So if you're having issues, just try moving your router a foot!

Options
Re:TX50E - No internet over 5Ghz but 2.4Ghz works-Solution
2021-05-08 01:51:04 - last edited 2021-05-08 01:51:34

@Kaptain-K OK after conducting more testing I have discovered the TV was likely not the culprit and was in fact the different channels / bandwidths of the router. I think what happened was when I moved the router, it must have switched channels or adjusted the bandwidth (I had both set to auto).

I've spent the last week playing with different channels and bandwidths in the router settings and have identified that the adapter does not like 160Mhz bandwidth AT ALL. If I force my router to a bandwidth of 160Mhz, the adapter will connect to the 5Ghz network but will show DNS errors OR will get DNS however speeds will be drastically slower.

An example, I currently have my AX50 router set to Channel 56(DFS) and channel width of 160Mhz, my chromebook (with a Wifi 5 adapter) just got 763 / 46 (I'm on a 1000 / 50 plan) and it's sat on top of my desktop pc, so only 30cm away from my TX50 adapter. When I run a speed test on my desktop through the TX50, I get 75 / 6.

However if I change the bandwidth to 80Mhz, on the same channel, my Chromebook gets 503 / 46 and my desktop gets 462 / 40!! 

So for whatever reason, the TX50 adapter does not like routers set to 160Mhz bandwidths, which is a shame seeing as that's one of the big selling points of of Wifi 6!!

If you are having speed issues with this adapter, I suggest setting the bandwidth to 80Mhz.

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 4447

Replies: 4