TD-W8970 Wireless connection problems|

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

TD-W8970 Wireless connection problems|

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
37 Reply
Re:TD-W8970 Wireless connection problems|
2013-09-12 22:39:25
i dont think in the possibility for direct answer or some help from TP-Link my fellow countryman user :)
They have made sticky less signifficant problem (my opinion) like the open port 7547 (CWMP) which as it seems solved in beta/official firmware i dont know how, and even can be solved partially by changing this port to another and changing the CWMP username and password for some protection until some officiall fix appear (if is not out there yet). The strange is, they do not making sticky this thread, because as it seems, it is a globally problem, it happens to all of us (or in 90% of us).. This problem with wireless is major, very SERIOUS. The wireless part until now is unsuable... The doom cycle of wireless freeze is there and you cannot use this cpe without it... We dont want (and we dont bought) plain adsl modem router , we have proper products for that purpose from TP-Link if we want. We want Wireless ADSL Modem Router which at least is working, the main parts anyway, but we dont have that...

The only you can do is wait for some days, and if you dont have fix from TP-Link returning to your local dealer for RMA... As i will do the same...
Options
2013-09-25 21:03:26
Hello to everyone!
This sounds like the problem I have, with all my devices connected wireless whose connection is lost even if it's working for the modem (and the ADSL is working on wired LAN).

And occasionally, of course, the freezing of the modem, but that have been very rare since the last firmware update.
Options
2013-09-25 21:10:36
Greetings to everyone!

This seems the same problem I had with my modem of this model, with all my wireless devices connected perfectly, but the occasionally loss of signal even if the TD-W8970 doesn't show anything wrong with the connection (only no more wireless client, but ADSL and LAN wired client are ok).

There's also the rare freezing of the modem, but the problem has been very much rare than before since the last firmware update.
Options
2013-09-29 06:34:28
Even with the new firmware which has released, the problem remains... For me, with the same rate, the same cycle of occasionally wireless freeze (every 8/10/12 hours most of times, some times even quicker, for example 2 hours...)
I cant wait any longer... I am very frustrated, my anger is in the top limit... I feel tp-link cheated on me, because this product is totally dumb and unusable without 100% working wireless ability... Is like human without hand... It is important piece that in a W I R E L E S S ADSL Modem/Router... If the wireless not working, is there any reason for keep using something which is faulty and broken..? I will not buy anything from tp-link again... Maybe their support is average (good) from emails, but the quality of their products it is not so good as i was thinking about...
Options
2013-10-07 22:32:02
I bought this modem router 15 days back and had a trouble initially.
The problem was rebooting of the device if any device is connected on wifi; though there was no problem with my LAN connection. First i suspected there could be an issue with the router.
I browsed on internet about this problem. While browsing i found that it was not a problem with only me but hell lot of people all over the world are facing this issue. There are several threads on TP-Link official website and people are discussing about this issue and lot of try outs to resolve the issue. Finally i found someone suggesting in the TP-link blog to change the adapter to overcome this issue. He claimed that he used 12V adapter and he is using the wifi without any issue. I took this advice very seriously and bought an adapter with 12V 1A rating from local market. I connected it to the modem by replacing the original one. I connected my smartphone and used internet on wifi. It started working smoothly and there was no restarting at all.

Finally i concluded that the restarting of the modem is caused due to low current(0.6A) or voltage(9V) of the original adapter. The power generated from the original adapter(9V 0.6A) is not enough for the device to function properly on wifi. I was so much frustrated in the beginning and felt of throwing it out of the home several times. Finally it turned smile on my face.
Options
2013-10-09 14:57:56
Mr Harish, the problem which has described here, its not the problem you was facing...

The problem with TD-W8970 is not the random general rebooting with no reason as with various tp-link models im seeing in the other threads here... The problem is:

The TP-Link TD-W8970 has nasty serious problems with wireless. Every n hours (n = random ---> from 1 until for example 12 hours), the wireless freezing (no device random reboot itself), and you cannot access internet, internal network or the web gui of the device. From the LAN side, is everything ok, no problem at all.
The only way you have to revive wireless, is by rebooting the device, MANUALLY.. Not because is that the problem, but because you have only this way to revive the wireless. I tried with that method with the... " power adapter" but not working, because its a DIFFERENT problem from that which you describe... Changing adapter in that problem here, has not use... :)

Wireless Freeze:

You cannot reconnect with your current usb or pci/pci express adapter, neither with a different, new one adapter. You cannot access web administration gui, neither any computer in your local network with wireless. You cannot access as well internet.

Possible fix until someone in TP-Link hear our problems with their product?

Every n hours which your wireless freezing, you must manually reboot the device to revive wireless back to normal. (normal with that device is something divine hahahahaah) ----> (we all know how much bad is that, when you cold/warm rebooting frequently, for the electrical components....)

As we all can understand.... this SUCKS, when you have no option for Ethernet (wire) connection in your home or your environment.... And we can imagine how much is the anger to all of us when you have to every some hours in a day, rebooting the device to work as you should do with out problems... To be on the device in front, every some houurs every day for rebooting the device.... Its just RIDICULOUS!!!
Options
2013-10-11 04:55:50

DaveMurray wrote

Mr Harish, the problem which has described here, its not the problem you was facing...

The problem with TD-W8970 is not the random general rebooting with no reason as with various tp-link models im seeing in the other threads here... The problem is:

It is and it is not Dave Just check the products specifications The damn thing was supposed to be shipped with a 12V/1,5A external supply but it gets shipped with a 9V/0,6A instead!!!! All problems start from there Replace the power supply and you'll see
WTF TP-Link??? Have you completely lost it??? Are you all gone mad in there?? Or just not give a damn for the customer as long as you make a penny???
Options
2013-10-12 00:23:30
I am 100000000000000% sure, for that PARTICULAR problem from this THREAD here, the problem IT IS NOT the power adapter...

In the original and official box when I bought the td-w8970, the power adapter was ALREADY 12V/1,5A... I can tell you if you want, and the trademark from the power adapter, or serial/product number, I have it right now in my hands.... In the first place, the adapter was already 12V/1,5A as the specifications requirements are and described from the web site of tp-link and from secondary sources.... I'm sure, because I measure it, with a special tool, and is 100% 12V/1,5A.

The default and original power adapter in my box, was 12V/1,5A and the wireless freeze is there...

I have not stopped there.... I move a step further and i have tried with 2 power adapters, which i bought just for that reason, just to be sure
The first third party power adapter was 12V/2.0A. Guess what...? Wireless freeze is there... No improvement..
The second third party power adapter was 12V/1,5A. Guess what...? Wireless freeze is there... No improvement..
I have continue further by testing one old power adapter from another modem router which was 12V/1.0A. Guess what...? Wireless freeze is there... No improvement..

Im 1000000000000% sure the problem with the random wireless freeze which we describe here, has nothing to do with the power adapter. The problem in this thread it is not low wireless signal, or random DEVICE reboots or anything else im seeing for TD-W8970 or another models. The signal is super strong, with the default antennas or with more powerful third party antennas (i currently using antennas which is 9dbi from the default 5dbi) in the whole house and further from home (a neighbor has connected just for test from another house near to me). The device, has not any unexplained reboots and not automated reboots like the other threads, with different causes like huge load and others...

The problem here, is SPECIFIC and is well described... A MAJOR number of devices (TD-W8970) have problems with Wireless. Perhaps is the whole part of the TD-W8970. Im not sure if it is hardware of firmware problem. But appearing in ALL TD-W8970 devices.
It is not the weak power adapter or generally the power supply..... I have full test it and im 1000000000% sure about that....

I just want repeat explaining the problem to be sure for PROPER READING for and from everyone:

The TD-W8970 is Wireless ADSL+2 Modem Router (by the way it is VDSL2, but tp-link disabled the vdsl2 functionality and i don't know why... ---> TD-W8970 has the lantiq VRX268 / VRX208 cpu, and guess.... it is vdsl2 chip ).
Every n hours (n = random hours) the wireless ability from the device freezing. Until now there is no explanation or what causes this problem. The wireless freezing, but ALL other functions from the device are intact for example: Ethernet LAN, USB etc etc. When wireless freezing, you cannot access the web gui, internet or your local network. The well known exclamation icon appearing down and right in your screen. If you connect Ethernet cable everything is fine. Just the wireless freezing.
This phenomenon is random, and has effect only in wireless. Every some hours of normal use with default of other settings for the wireless, just freezing. The wireless signal is strong and fine, of course before the problem happening. Everything working fine until wireless freeze without any reason(personally i cant find why). You cannot reconnect in your wireless network, you cannot connect again by using other wireless adapter. The only available way you have for temp fixing this problem is by rebooting MANUALY the device. Then you can reconnect again and work with the same or another wireless adapter, it dosent matter. All this of course until the problem re appearing after some hours again.

As some peoples suggested, by changing the power adapter to 12V/1.0 or 1.5A as the official specifications requires (mine default power adapter in the box was already 12V/1,5A) maybe you will have your solution to the above problem. Some peoples reported their original power adapter which was coming with the device in the box was 9V/0,6A or something lower from the official specifications and requirements. This perhaps must be explained from a tp-link representative or by the users (im seeing this suggestion and in others threads for another tp-link devices... Other devices may have different power requirements so users MUST give answers for what SPECIFIC TP-Link device they are talking about...)
Anyway this method HAS NOT ANY USE for TD-W8970 because already have the proper power adapter which are included in the box (in my case of course something telling me in not the only one, because and my cousin has the td-8970 and he has the proper power adapter).
If some users in their device boxes received other inappropriate power adapters must talk with TP-Link, their local dealers, or they must talk for what TP-Link product they are talking about... WHAT SPECIFIC Product they ARE TALKING ABOUT....

For TD-W8970 the solution by using a stronger power adapter has NOT ANY USE and it is not RELATED to this problem in this thread here. Has FULLY Tested with different power adapters....

The funny or the sad thing here is NO TP-Link representative has read this thread, or try to give us one GOOD Explanation for what is going on... If that is hell nice strategy for the customers of TP-Link i have nothing to say more than this current post... Just im very sad for spending even and the last euro, buying products from TP-Link... They do not deserve it because their methods in my eyes of course, its not so much.... "legimate"...
Options
2013-10-21 18:44:30
I agree with you.
I can't understand that incredible silence by TP LINK, this loss of solution of patch, new firmware or word about the problem.
I hope in a turn of mind.
Options
me 2
2015-02-05 03:35:29
Having the same exact problem!

I'm SO in distress right now, and almost can't believe that this topic have not been visited by TP-Link yet. It's been years dammit?! :confused: :mad:
Options
Related Articles