adapter finding every wifi network but the one I want it to connect to

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-04-24 20:43:53 - last edited 2021-04-24 20:44:56
Model: TL-WN823N  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version:

Hi,

I've installed the adapter on my windows 8.1 pc with the correct download. I had disabled my network card beforehand. The wifi list for the adapter shows all the wifi networks my old network card showed except for my router. The adapter connects successfully to phone hotspots. If I enable the wifi card again, the router is shown as well and I can connect without a problem. Using inssider I can see the network card is connecting via 2.4Ghz so it's not that the adapter is trying to connect to a 5Ghz network. The adapter obviously wont connect using wps as the network isn't in the available list.I have spent too many hours trying changing security, channels etc on the router but to no avail. The number of re-installations of the software, re-boots etc...

Please, could anyone point me in the right direction? Any help would be appreciated. I would really like to start using some of the fibre installation's real speed.

Options
3 Reply
Re: adapter finding every wifi network but the one I want it to connect to
2021-04-26 02:58:09

@anth13 Good day, 

Please confirm your router is using 2.4Ghz wifi band, and try to change a different Wi-Fi channel for your 2.4Ghz to channel 1-11.

If this still does not help, you could change a different SSID for 2.4Ghz Wi-Fi and see if new SSID could be detected by adapter. 

Options
2021-04-26 09:51:29

@Solla-topee 

Hi,

Thanks for the help.

I can confirm its using the 2.4Ghz band. I was using channel 1 already, but tried channel 2. No progress. Because the router allows a single ssid for both bands, I created 2 ssids, but that made no difference. Restarted between all these changes each time. Each time I retried the old adapter card after re-enabling it and it could connect to the router 2.4ghz band without any problem regardless of channel no/ssid.

Interestingly, as the wifi wasn't in the list for the adapter, I tried to add it to the adapter in the Control Panel/ Network&Sharing/set up new connection/  . It said the network already existed, so either rename or start again? As you have to specify the adapter, it would suggest the network is known to the adapter but not showing anywhere? Strange,

Options
2021-04-29 02:29:24 - last edited 2021-04-29 02:31:51

@anth13 Hello, 

Thank you for your update, may I know did you make different SSIDs for 2.4Ghz/ 5Ghz, can other devices see the 2.4Ghz SSID?

If there is any smart connect / roaming feature on your router turn that off for a test.

Disable the old wireless adapter

If still the same problem, please help collect some information here that help to locate the issue, thank you

• Model of your router *attach  firmware & hardware version of router is possible:
  • A photo of your router wireless settings on 2.4Ghz: 
  • The driver date and motherboard info of PC: 

How to check driver version of TP-Link adapters and system information of your computer?

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2722/

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 404

Replies: 3