RE200 with additional WiFi Extender

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-05-12 13:50:03
Model: RE200  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I recently had an outdoor socket installed that has a WiFi range extender built in (manufacturer is BG Electrical). When I attempted to connect this to my router, it would not do so as it was too far away. My intended solution was to put another extender in the the middle of the two, and bought the RE200 for this purpose. The RE200 is connected to my router now, and I can connect to it's network without issue. Additionally, the secondary WiFi range extender also connects to the RE200 seemingly without issue, only this device does not create another network, it simply boosts the RE200's WiFi. The problem is as follows:

- Connect Android mobile to RE200 (successfully)

- Walk away from RE200 to rear of garden where secondary WiFi range extender is (RE200 signal is weak at this point)

- Manually disconnect from RE200's WiFi

- Rescan for wireless networks and "boosted" RE200 is now detected
- Attempt to connect but it fails as it cannot get an IP address

I have contacted the WiFi socket manufacturer, and they advised that as their device does not actually allocate the IP, then it could be RE200's security blocking the distribution of an IP as it's via another device.

I have contacted tp-link's support but got nothing other than contact the WiFi socket manufacturer.

Does anyone have any experience of this problem?

Thanks in advance 

Options
2 Reply
Re:RE200 with additional WiFi Extender
2021-05-13 01:35:06

@StevenPixton Hello, 

It does not sound like the issue on RE200 as other devices could get an IP address from range extender.

To exclude the issue, you will need to put router closer to the outdoor socket ( maybe extend the cable on router) and check if outdoor socket could connect to router's Wi-Fi or not. 

Options
Re:RE200 with additional WiFi Extender
2021-05-13 07:01:33

@Solla-topee Hi, and thanks for your response. Regarding the test you suggested, I have actually already managed to do that. The outdoor socket can just about see the router's WiFI network (I'm only not using it as the signal is so weak that it seriously affects the speed), and an IP is allocated without issue. The issue is only when the RE200 is inbetween and is the device allocating the IP address. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 454

Replies: 2

Related Articles