Channel frequencies

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Channel frequencies

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Channel frequencies
Channel frequencies
2021-05-24 22:27:49 - last edited 2021-05-26 11:35:25
Model: TL-WPA8630P KIT  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version:

My router is in the middle of the house.  I have WiFi security cameras outside at the front that need 60% signal strength. I also have a smart TV and Arlo Q inside at the front. Over the years I have tried an RE200 and a Netgear Ex7500 WiFi range extenders. While both gave good WiFi both suffered link dropping. After experimenting with frequencies on the Ex7500 I found the cameras liked 2.4G chan 9 and the link was acceptable with 5g channel 104 split frequencies SSiD. MESH all one confused evrrything

I used tp8030 powerline for TV video and Arlo.  I decided that the WiFi link was too far for WiFi extender reliability and bought an WPA 8630 to replace the PA 8030.  The signal strength is not as expected.   The WiFi channels cannot be changed to match the router and are not copied across with the SSID as on the Ex7500.   It took 2 years to optimise the frequencies of router and wifi extender.  I have yet to finish cameras setup  but I am surprised  that the tplink utility does not allow the optimisation of channel frequencies.  

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Channel frequencies -Solution
2021-05-26 09:23:52 - last edited 2021-05-26 11:35:25

@Sollha-topee 

All now working fine.  I need 60% sig strengths  at cameras front of house.  Using WiFi extenders Re200 and Netgear Ex7500 the Halfway socket would drop the link. I did use tp PA8030 at far end to tv so replaced that with WpA 8630P. It is in a double mains socket and at first signal strength was disappointing. Changed to other socket same location and now strengths above 60%.  The cameras work best at chan 9 but not worth changing as working fine. I did try linking the Re 200 to the 8630 but it confused the system. All working fine now thanks. Wifi extenders are fine in theory but too dependant on suitable mains outlets.

Recommended Solution
Options
4 Reply
Re:Channel frequencies
2021-05-26 08:07:39

@Knobby Hello, 

By clicking Global icon on tpPLC Utility ,you could log into web interface and change wireless channel (Settings/ Advanced --Wireless settings).

please check Method2 in the FAQ below: 

How to log into the web-based management interface of Powerline ac Extender (new logo)?
https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/1417/

However, changing channel may not help to improve the wireless signal of powerline extender.

From your description, a business level AP  ( wire to router )  may be more suitable for the camera outdoor. 

Options
2021-05-26 09:10:22

Solla-topee wrote

@Knobby Hello, 

By clicking Global icon on tpPLC Utility ,you could log into web interface and change wireless channel (Settings/ Advanced --Wireless settings).

How to log into the web-based management interface of Powerline ac Extender (new logo)?

However, changing channel may not help to improve the wireless signal of powerline extender.

From your description, a business level AP  ( wire to router )  may be more suitable for the camera outdoor. 

Solla-topee wrote

@Knobby Hello, 

@Solla-topee 

Options
Re:Channel frequencies -Solution
2021-05-26 09:23:52 - last edited 2021-05-26 11:35:25

@Sollha-topee 

All now working fine.  I need 60% sig strengths  at cameras front of house.  Using WiFi extenders Re200 and Netgear Ex7500 the Halfway socket would drop the link. I did use tp PA8030 at far end to tv so replaced that with WpA 8630P. It is in a double mains socket and at first signal strength was disappointing. Changed to other socket same location and now strengths above 60%.  The cameras work best at chan 9 but not worth changing as working fine. I did try linking the Re 200 to the 8630 but it confused the system. All working fine now thanks. Wifi extenders are fine in theory but too dependant on suitable mains outlets.

Recommended Solution
Options
2021-05-26 11:35:13

@Knobby Glad to hear that you find a proper location/ wall socket that works for the camera, thank you for your update. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 185

Replies: 4