Trouble Unifying Wifi Network without WPS button

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-05-25 16:01:09 - last edited 2021-05-26 11:14:50
Model: TL-WPA4220 KIT  
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version: 5

Hello all,

I have an existing wifi which I want to extend to the garage. I have paired the powerline plugs and used a web browser and tplinkplc.net to change the powerline wifi name to the same name as my house wifi and the same password, though I could not save the password because it said "timed out". I also managed to add a guest wifi with a different name "EGAcupuncture" with no security. When I plug the 4220 into the garage, it shows connected, all lights on except ethernet (I am not using that). I can connect to the guest network fine, but when I try to connect to the home network it times out. The signal on the guest wifi is very strong, the signal on the home one is much weaker, but then gets strong, then disappears. I have a feeling that

1/ the weak home signal is not from the Powerline but from the house (there is a very, very weak signal there)

2/ the strong home signal is from the Powerline but for some reason when it connects it disconnects, and I am wondering if the "UNIFYING" of wifi should be more than just changing the wifi name and password.

3/ the guest signal is always strong and works as well as I would expect over that distance... but this is only for guests, I don't want to be on another wifi as it affects ability to attach smart home devices.

Any ideas why this is happening and what I can do to get my Orbi RBK50 router and the tp-link to play nicely together?

Thanks!

Mark.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Trouble Unifying Wifi Network without WPS button-Solution
2021-05-26 08:37:26 - last edited 2021-05-26 11:14:50

@FredPhoesh Hello, 

Thank you for your detailed post. 

It is recommended to  download this tpPLC Utility and customize wireless settings for powerline units. 
https://www.tp-link.com/support/download/tl-wpa4220-kit/#Utility

Here is an FAQ to change a Wi-Fi name and password for WiFi powerline unit:
http://www.tp-link.com/en/faq-1611.html

You could customize a different WiFi name for WPA4220 to exclude the issue, if no Internet on that WIFI, please put powerline KIT in the same room and check there is any Internet. 

Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
Re:Trouble Unifying Wifi Network without WPS button
2021-05-25 16:04:34

Also

When I connect my PC directly to the Powerline, I cannot access the tplinkplc.net site

When I connect my Laptop wifi to the home wifi, I cannot access the tiplinkplc.net site

Options
Re:Trouble Unifying Wifi Network without WPS button-Solution
2021-05-26 08:37:26 - last edited 2021-05-26 11:14:50

@FredPhoesh Hello, 

Thank you for your detailed post. 

It is recommended to  download this tpPLC Utility and customize wireless settings for powerline units. 
https://www.tp-link.com/support/download/tl-wpa4220-kit/#Utility

Here is an FAQ to change a Wi-Fi name and password for WiFi powerline unit:
http://www.tp-link.com/en/faq-1611.html

You could customize a different WiFi name for WPA4220 to exclude the issue, if no Internet on that WIFI, please put powerline KIT in the same room and check there is any Internet. 

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Trouble Unifying Wifi Network without WPS button
2021-05-26 11:16:13
Thanks, this worked. The instructions do not make this clear, it gives the three options, but in fact ONLY the tpPLC Utility works. The android app and web interface do not for this function. Thanks, Mark.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 926

Replies: 3