Archer A6v2(US) Firmware Update is 19.61KB???

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-06-13 01:55:38
Model: Archer A6  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: Archer A6(US)_V2_191112

My last router bricked in a few days after upgrading to the firmware release in 2020, so after returning and getting a new one I kept the default firmware which was released in 2019. But now there's a new firmware released in 2021 but since the size is only 19.61KB I'm a bit sceptical about it.

So my questions are: 

Is it safe to install?

Do I need to install the firmware I skipped (2020 release) before upgrading to the latest one? Or can I just upgrade it as is since the tether app now showing only the latest one.

BTW  I checked the router's region and version before upgrading both in the packaging and in the router's html page.

Please help me, I really don't wanna brick this one too in this lockdown situation.

Options
4 Reply
Re:Archer A6v2(US) Firmware Update is 19.61KB???
2021-06-13 14:17:44

@Amarjyoti 

This is apparently a mistake by TP-Link. The downloaded file "Archer A6(US)_V2_210226.zip" contains no firmware, but just some random log file.

I suggest you just wait until TP-Link staff reads your post and subsequently uploads a corrected file to the server. The file size of the correct file should be around 13 MB, similar to previous firmware releases.

Normally you can just upgrade to the latest firmware version straightaway. If this wasn't the case, then there would be a special note on the download page.

Make sure you observe the cautionary measures listed on the firmware download page. In addition I recommend to reboot the router before starting a firmware upgrade, because after weeks or months of continuous running it could happen that a router may have end up in some "unclean" state.

Options
2021-06-13 16:53:35
Thank you for your answer, that actually make sense that firmware size is just way too weird. I'll also make sure to read the firmware description and reboot the router before updating when the actual firmware releases. BTW do u recommend installing firmware through router's html page or from the tether app? Thank you so much.
Options
2021-06-18 05:30:51

@Amarjyoti 

Which website did you try to download the firmware? Can we have the link for the website? We will confirm if that is uploading with an issue.

You can wait and check for the new firmware updates either on the router web GUI or the Tether app, both are OK for the update.

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Connect TP-Link Archer BE550 to Germany's DS-Lite (Dual Stack Lite) Internet via WAN Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2021-06-18 06:31:07
This One: https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/download/archer-a6/v2/#Firmware But now its 13MB so maybe its fixed. Thanks.
Options