Trouble getting X20-DSL to work with BT Broadband in UK

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-06-17 18:26:39 - last edited 2021-07-02 06:33:37
Model: Deco X20  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi,

I've just got the new X20-DSL in an attempt to replace my BT Smart Hub 2 as it's been starting to misbehave! Wanted to experience the benefits of a WiFi 6 Mesh network throughout the house!

I've got the BT superfast broadband service (80Mb download / 20Mb upload - not FTTP), and I thought that the new X20-DSL would be the right model to get to work with this... but I'm having trouble connecting.

When I set up the X20-DSL, I pick 'BT_VDSL' as the ISP from the list, showing the connection as PPPoE and VLAN 101, I then enter the standard BT username 'bthomehub@btbroadband.com' and the (apparently) optional password 'bt'.

It lets me get to the next step to pick an SSID and password, but then I get the 'Failed to create Wi-Fi network' message in the app. 'Try again' doesn't help. :(

(PS. I know the password is blank, I took the screenshot before entering it!)

Any suggestions on what I'm doing wrong? Any BT customers had any success with this? These settings seem to match what's being displayed on the BT Smart Hub 2 manager.

Thanks

Jason

Options
2 Accepted Solutions
Re:Trouble getting X20-DSL to work with BT Broadband in UK-Solution
2021-06-29 16:05:37 - last edited 2021-07-02 06:33:37
@StuartHinde Guinea pig’d some beta firmware today which has solved the problem! I’m now able to connect successfully 👍 So hopefully not too much longer before official firmware can be rolled out to fix! (PS… I’m with EE for mobile service and WiFi calling also seems to be working fine without any extra config needed - I can’t get any phone signal in my house, so always in airplane mode… and was able to make/receive calls OK. Your issue might have been a NAT issue because you were behind two routers whilst DSL wasn’t working?)
Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Trouble getting X20-DSL to work with BT Broadband in UK-Solution
2021-08-05 01:45:01 - last edited 2021-08-05 02:25:15

@Surfingwoody 

Hi, It seemed like you have been on the beta firmware 1.0.3 Build 20210629 Rel. 61879 already and I wonder whether your current issue got fixed?

And later the official firmware would be released to fix this issue and please keep attention to the local official website.

Before the official firmware release, if anyone had the same issue, please refer to the following link:

https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/272374 

Thank you very much.

Recommended Solution
Options
23 Reply
Re:Trouble getting X20-DSL to work with BT Broadband in UK
2021-06-21 01:45:26

@Jason105 

Is the internet VLAN ID 101 provided by BT also? We recommend you confirm the parameters again with BT, ensure they are correct, then try to reconfigure the Deco X20 again.

Just to confirm, how about the LED status on the X20 after the reconfiguration? You can refer to the troubleshooting suggestions here to check the settings:

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2239/

Options
2021-06-22 15:53:29

@Jason105 did you get it to work? I'm having exactly the same problems with EE.

Options
2021-06-22 19:52:49

@StuartHinde No, I haven't had chance yet... but I tried a gazillion times with different settings and combos the first time round... I even tried selecting the "Other" option and entering the details by hand in case it was something in the "BT" specific config. I was hoping for something more helpful than "try again" laugh.

I'm glad (but not glad) someone else is also having these issues! Glad I'm not going crazy that is...

@TP-Link sorry, LED didn't help either. There's no solid lights. Even if I restarted the app, there's no set up network detected. Can you check your logs and see if you've had ANY successful setups in the UK of this new device?

Options
2021-06-22 20:49:22 - last edited 2021-06-22 20:54:11

@Jason105  There's a review on Amazon saying it's not compatible with Sky Fibre, if that's the case I assume it is for every other ISP as well! I've started the returns process with mine.

All the FAQs and support section of the website are basically useless!

Oh and WiFi Calling doesn't work when it's in router only mode on EE either, it's useless.

Options
2021-06-22 21:05:59

@StuartHinde 

Hopefully this is just a software/config issue that can be resolved with a firmware update if needed...

My understanding is that the FTTC broadband I have is VDSL2.... the X20-DSL says it's compatible with all flavours... including ADSL, ADSL2, ADSL2+.... so according to the box, it should work. I'm going to give TP-Link a chance to hopefully find a solution to this cool

Options
2021-06-22 21:08:49 - last edited 2021-06-22 21:12:01

@Jason105 I was going to till I saw the WiFi calling hasn't been working for at least 6 months, disappointing because the device I was trying to replace was a TP-Link one which works fine.

Options
2021-06-23 06:46:53

@StuartHinde Hi, just find that you have discussed the issue on another thread, so I am wondering were you able or not to configure the EE network successfully on the Deco X20-DSL? As per your description on the other thread, it seems you have set up the internet successfully but encounters a Wi-Fi calling issue, am I right? If that is the case, I guess you figure out the EE internet setup issue on the Deco X20-DSL, can you share with the community about the solution?

@Jason105 Hi Jason, have you confirmed with BT to check the line with another DSL modem, we need to ensure the line is good in your house. BTW, we have reported the issue you encountered to the support engineers, they are willing to help figure out why the setup fails in your network.

Options
2021-06-23 06:49:02

@TP-Link 

Hi no, it's completely failed to work when used as a modem. I had it contacted as solely a router when having the WiFi calling issues. 

Options
2021-06-23 08:05:08

@StuartHinde 

I see. Do you still keep the Deco X20-DSL? If yes, the support engineers would like to help you with the case.

Options
2021-06-23 08:26:33

@TP-Link 

Started the returns process but not sent it yet so happy for the help. Slight problem is I have no mobile signal where I live so if they wanted to talk me through stuff it's not possible as the instant I switch my old router off I lose connection. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 2

Views: 3992

Replies: 23

Related Articles