What's best a Modem Router OR Modem and Wifi Router

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-06-27 18:10:33

Hi,

I know nothing about networks and internet. This point has been reinforced when, after days of trying to install my new TP Link Wifi Router AX20 to my network, I am told that I need a modem before it will work. On further reading, I now have a choice of purchasing a DSL Modem AND a Wifi Router OR purchase a combined Modem Wifi Router. I should add that it is a home network for a family of 5 adults including one gamer, 3 film-watchers and a tv sports fan. The house is old and large with 4 bedrooms on 3 levels. All floors have foil-backed solid insulation that plays havoc with wifi although it did work with extenders before. I also purchased 2 TP Link Wifi 6 AX1500 Extenders that provide a OneMesh coverage.

Can anyone provide step by step advice on this? Thanks you.

Options
1 Reply
Re:What's best a Modem Router OR Modem and Wifi Router
2021-06-29 18:42:06

@Barxclan 

Hey

So yeah you sound like you have solved this yourself.   The AX20 router is a gateway router, namely its designed to be connected to a modem or ISP router to provide internet access, connect this via the port in the back labelled WAN..  Its usually blue in colour

In terms of a modem for this, would you have your old ISP router?   This would work as you can disable the WiFi on it, then connect the WAN port on the AX20 to any of the LAN ports on the ISP Router.    Basically in that setup you would have the old ISP router doing modem only.. everything will be controlled by your new AX20

If you don't have your ISP router, get a cheap WAN router or modem from someone and that should work too.   Just the most basic DSL modem or router will work unless you have super fast internet.. honestly cheap as you get its doing nothing :)

In terms of the mesh setup, that will work also but if you have a large house with thick walls its going to be trial and error if honest!  

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 450

Replies: 1