What if my Router Speed is capped at 100 Mbps?

What if my Router Speed is capped at 100 Mbps?

106 Reply
Re:What if my Router Speed is capped at 100 Mbps?
2023-07-16 03:04:41

@Kevin_Z 

Hi! Does this apply to the Omada Load Balance Router? I have an Omada connected to an M9 mesh router. The Wi-Fi speed is fine, but I'm experiencing limited speeds of 100Mb when using a cable connection. The QoS on the M9 is already configured for 1000Mb.

Options
2023-07-16 16:50:42

@Kevin_Z 

Hello!

Currently, I am experiencing a speed limitation when using a wired connection with a Cat5e cable. When I connect my MacBook Pro to the router via cable, the maximum speed I can achieve is only 100 Mbps. However, when I use the Wi-Fi connection, the speed reaches 600 Mbps.

I have already followed all the suggested configurations and troubleshooting steps mentioned in the forum to address this issue. I have checked the router's specifications and confirmed that it has gigabit WAN/LAN ports. Furthermore, in the router's web interface, I have verified the "Negotiation Speed" of the Ethernet ports, and all of them are correctly set to 1000 Mbps.

I have also tested different Cat5e cables and attempted to connect my MacBook Pro to other available ports on the router, but the speed remains limited to 100 Mbps when connected via cable.

I kindly request your assistance in resolving this speed limitation issue. Please provide additional guidance or any solutions that may help rectify this matter.

Here are the relevant details for your analysis:

• Main router model: TP-Link Omada Gigabit Multi-WAN VPN Router.
  • Connected Mesh router: TP-Link Mesh M5.
  • When using Wi-Fi, the speed is approximately 600 Mbps.
  • When using a Cat5e cable, the maximum speed is limited to 100 Mbps.
  • All the settings suggested in the forum have been checked and applied.
  • My device is a MacBook Pro.
Options
2023-07-21 09:11:24

Hi @Rgood68 

Is the model of the Multi-WAN VPN Router ER605? How is the network layout? Does the MacBook Pro connect to the ER605 LAN or to the Deco M9?

How long is the cable between the two? Try a shorter cable and ensure the cable quality is good.

If possible, I would suggest testing the LAN speed with another computer or device with a gigabit Ethernet port, which will help address if this is related to the router or the MacBook Pro itself.

Options
2023-08-07 03:15:27

@TTez 

What is the specific model number of the AC1200? You can find it on the device's bottom sticker.

Can you please show us the negotiation speed on the AC1200 web page as stated in my original post? If possible, please try with a new cat 5e or cat 6 cable, just in case there is anything wrong with the cable when working with the router.

You can also try resetting the router to factory defaults to exclude all possible settings that may affect the speed.

Options
2023-08-07 23:59:39 - last edited 2023-08-08 00:15:43

@Kevin_Z 

Hi, I have a 500 down/ 50 up plan with Cox. If I connect my PS5 directly to my cable modem I'm able to get the full 500 down but when I use either the ethernet port or a 5GHz wifi connection on my TP-Link AC1200 V2, I'm only getting between 100-150 down. Have also tried running a speedtest on my phone and Macbook on the 5Ghz network, only to get the same results. In any case, here are the things I've already tried:

-Switching ethernet cables

-Switching ethernet ports

-Keeping QoS on and changing download speed to "500"

-Turning off QoS and Parental Controls entirely

-Changing the Duplex mode from "Automatic" to "1000/Full Duplex"

The router page/tp-link cloud is telling me there are no firmware updates available, although I am noticing that the current firmware version is "2.0.2 Build 20180117 rel.70858 (US)", which seems like it's old (with respect to what I see here)

Not really sure where else to go from here. I should also point out that if I go to Basic -> Network Map -> click on the router, I don't see a table for Ethernet negotiation speeds anywhere.

Options
2023-08-17 22:07:07

@Kevin_Z 

Any idea about the above? Is there a newer firmware version I should maybe try?

Options
2023-08-18 02:27:57

@sys08001 

Sorry that I missed your response.

Can I have the hardware version and region version of your Archer C1200? Is it an EU version or a US? If yours is a US version, you can download and install the latest version from the website as you linked:

https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/download/archer-c1200/v2/#Firmware

You can also try resetting the router to factory defaults and don't modify any advanced settings (QoS or Parental Control or anything), just connect it to the modem and get online, then test the internet speed first to see if that is normal. If yes, then try to modify the settings as required one by one to observe which one may affect the internet speed.

Options
2023-08-19 00:37:16

@Kevin_Z 

So I have a V2 (US) and I upgraded the firmware according to the latest one in your link and no dice. However, I did notice in the system parameters that NAT boost was unchecked. Since I already had QoS off, I only had to turn off the Traffic Statistics and then reboot the router to enable the NAT boost. This jumped my wireless speed up to around 400 down, which is a lot closer. My question for you is - is there any downside to me disabling the Traffic Statistics in order for me to get these higher speeds? 

Options
2023-08-22 03:36:42

@sys08001 

Good try. You can enable NAT Boost to get a better speed.

Disabling Traffic Statistics won't affect the functions or features of the router, but you can no longer monitor the volume of internet traffic statistics. 

Here is a story that explains why these features cannot be enabled simultaneously, please have a check.

Options
Re:[Troubleshooting] Speed limit to 100 Mbps
2023-12-29 22:01:55

@Kevin_Z hey, i;m too getting the speed capped at 100mbps, i've already tried all the suggestions but nothing seems to fix it.

and if i change the negotiation speed from auto to 1000mbps full duplex, the speeds gets capped at 10mbps. dont know why

Options